My latest attempt at Intarsia

marmoh

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  Really have enjoyed my venture into Intarsia but have so much more to learn.  Would love to find someone in my area that does Intarsia so I could get some pointers from, but to date have not found anyone.  Guess I will just keep trying until one day it clicks and I can learn to correct some of the errors I am making.   All I can say is that Intarsia is very addictive !!!   Thanks again ..... Marion

nicely done. I have made a few intarsia pieces and I have no problem cutting and shaping but gluing it together is another matter for me. Most often it seems that after I have cut and shaped my pieces and begin to glue it up, that is when my alignment seems to go astray and then 'here comes gaps that were not there before the glue up. I am usually only half satisfied with the outcome because I know it was 'near perfect' before the glue time. I love intarsia as a decorative piece but I do get a little discouraged with my end results. I too would love to find someone else in my area that does intarsia so I could get together with them and share experiences and Ideas. I am lucky to have, our very own Travis, now living somewhat close by me and I hope to be able to develop a friendship with him in the future...Not sure if he is open to that, but I guess I will find out soon.

heppnerguy ... that is also my problem ... so proud of it until I start gluing it up and then it seems to get out of align.  If you aren't cutting a perfect 90 degree cut that can cause the problem, but if the pieces match together top and bottom it would seem like I did a 90 degree cut.  You can put the pieces together and cut down the line and it will correct them most of the time but I have a problem with keeping enough pressure on the pieces to keep them from slipping before I get finished with the cut.  Will just keep plodding  along and maybe one day I will end up with one I am truly proud of.     Marion

Marion I would be proud of the one you have just finished.  I have never tried intarsia and one day I hope to but I'm guessing that I will be feeling the same way you do now.  We can only go by the photo that you post and I must say WOW that is awesome.  Keep practicing.  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Marg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...