Curved objects

Marvin

All right, I will admit it.  I can't follow the lines on a project.  I realize I am new to this hobby, but not following lines go all the way back to grade school when I would get a "U" for keeping colors inside the lines.  I'm wanting to get into making bowls, but even after practicing and following online tutorials, I still can't follow.  I think I'm getting into a big of a hurry.  I've thought about making bigger lines, but I don't think staying in a 1 inch line would look very good(although it might solve the problem).  I know I'm sounding not serious but I really am.  Any suggestions short of quitting.

Can you stay within a blade's width to either side of the line? if you can, you should have no troubles making bowls. The sanding will take a little longer but you can still do it. As for cutting on the lines, just take your time. Hopefully you are not using spiral blades. That would definitely be harder to control for bowls. 

Yeah like Dan said are you using spiral blades? Do you have your speed the highest it will go? Turn it down. The thicker the wood the higher stroke per minute that also goes for hard wood. If you use pine ( soft) turn the speed down. Now how is your tension on you blade if it has a lot of slack in it it will cause you to wonder ( zigzag) so make sure you tention is tight.the last thing is try not to push your wood to hard against your blade let the blade do the work.this all takes practice you will get the hang of it.Karl

Yeah like Dan said are you using spiral blades? Do you have your speed the highest it will go? Turn it down. The thicker the wood the higher stroke per minute that also goes for hard wood. If you use pine ( soft) turn the speed down. Now how is your tension on you blade if it has a lot of slack in it it will cause you to wonder ( zigzag) so make sure you tention is tight.the last thing is try not to push your wood to hard against your blade let the blade do the work.this all takes practice you will get the hang of it.Karl

Thanks for everyone's response.  I don't use spirals, because I have heard too many bad things about them.  I will try slowing the speed down and see if that helps.  I'm just frustrated and I tend to lose focus(eyes) and I think that is a problem.  The only blades I seem to have problem with are Flying Dutchman Ultra reverse.  I'm not sure why, but they seem harder to control.  I do use  a lot of Olsen Reverse blades and feel they are better for me now.  I keep the tension on the blades very tight.

I remember those days  when i had the same problems..Trust me it's some thing simple thats causing this problem for you.i used to put the blades in upside down not knowing anything about scroll saws.this causes plenty of steering problems.the teeth allways need to face downward..Yes tension is a good reason for the blade to wander around on you so tighten it up like a high e string on a guitar.Don't touch the ends of the blades as oil on your skin will cause it to lose tension and then the blade will wander right away as soon as you turn on the machine.It can be tight as a drum but when you start the motor it slips immedietly even on the dewalt 788 when i forget not to touch the ends.Everything comes in it's own time.We should be able to set you straight with this problem as more people chime in on there thoughts to fix your problem.not being there all we can do is suggest many reasons that will cause the problem.Hang in there .Were her to help you all we can.I've learned everything i know here in the village.Glad to have you as a member and soon you'll be on the other side setting people straight with therir problems too.Were a fun helpfull bunch here so Grab a cup of coffee and watch all the answers fly in to help you .you will be amazed!

Hi Marvin,

Everyone has given excellent advice.

I have a few more ideas they forgot to mention. 

Blade lubrication, wax, spray-on stuff, or a clear teflon tape over your pattern or even the pattern drawn on the tape covered piece might help.

Is your blade actually square to itself and the saw table.?  If it even a few degrees off following a line is tough. I have had to adjust saws to this before. How much side slop is on your blade carriers; maybe careful tightening/ repair of the saw this way will help.

I use red  for my patterns as it is much easier to see the blade againt the red line! I have found after a decade of searching that the best cheap pens are the "Bic Grip Fine Red"  I but them at an office supply store by the dozen. They mark on most wood witout falling a part. I can sometimes get them to mark on the teflon tape and sometimes have to use fineline permanent markers for that.

WE all have and do sometimes MISS the line!  Sometimes the wood grain is the master PERIOD!

If you cut a tiny bit on the outside of the line and sand to the line it can also help.

Better light/ reading glasses, or even a more comfortable position will all affect the end result!

If you are extremely tired and the sawing is not fun; it becomes a lot harder to do a decent job also.

Good LUCK!

I am sure that I missed some ideas also. I will watch this for more information.

Everyone has had these same issues and sometimes still do.

I always find that the more I worry about getting a line straight or a curve line right the more I end up out side the line.  Also if I go too slow on a straight line the worse it is.

Marg

I'm also worrying about either going to slow or fast.  I think focus is probably more of the problem.  I'm still learning and although I know much of what is being said, I still glean much info from listening to what all of you are saying thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Scroller....Danny here....  Long ago I began Scrolling.  Cheap Lowes Saw.  Bad idea in the long run.  Then another Lowes

saw.  Better, but still just didn't get me feeling good about my work.  Then I got a Hegner....Dewalt 788 etc. Was a Great

feeling of almost immeadate accomplishment.  Them dang curves n straight lines got easier n easier. 

Have found that the FD-UR #1 is a blade thats a Piece of Cake to control and follow a line.  I feel running your saw at 75%

speed of a touch faster gives me much better control than a slower speed.  Just my 2 cents.  Anyway.  Good Luck.  Danny  :+}

Staying on the line is overrated!!

If you are off the line slowly come back to the line. Sharp turns back to the line will be noticeable on smooth curves. 

If you are making a portrait or fretwork types of things once the pattern is off the wood no one knows what it was really supposed to look like. Chances are the pattern can be modified a little (or a lot) and still look good. Two exceptions are eyes and letters; eyes because they really set the tone of a picture and are something everyone looks at, letters because our eyes are trained to be very accustomed to seeing letters in certain ways and if something is a little narrow or fat we can tell something is funny with the letters. I recommend cutting a leopard, tons of spots to practice on and in the end almost always look like a leopard.

My experience with bowls is that no matter how accurate you cut there is a ton of sanding. So get close then sand, and sand and sand and sand.... 

Marvin the FDUR'S are the best blade on the market hands down but they take some practice. They are a agresive blade in that they cut fast ,so slow your speed down on your saw and feed rate as well. Best advice is to relax and take your time. Enjoy what your doing instead of stressing about the lines. it will be more enjoyable and soon you'll work out the kinks.

sully