A Lesson In Symmetry

I was pouring over the photos I just took of my last two day's work trying to decide which ones to upload. I couldn't decide, so I created a seperate album and uploaded all twenty one of them. So, the thumbnails below are the two of the two sets of eight. there are lots more photos in my gallery if anyone is interested in taking a peek.

I ordered these butterfly patterns from Wildwood Design a while back. I was saving them for a rainy day, or in my case, a bad back day. The largest one is about four inches by eight. The bodies are quarter inch cottonwood. The wings are (for Travis asking about planing to this thicknes) eighth inch mahogany. To make the wings, I planed the mahogany down to one eight inch and then stack cut the pair so they are symmetrical as a butterfly should be. This is two (full) day's work. don't let the looks fool you. They are VERY time consuming. They are also VERY delicate. Don't sneeze or hiccup while cutting the wings. There is a little hook made of wire attached to the back of each butterfly so you can hang them.

Even though I've been hurting like %$&@ lately, I truly enjoyed these. I made these for my daughter. I actually think they take too much time to make a profit on them. I only messed up on one of them. I had one of the little veins one the wings tear out on me. It was on such a spot though that after a little doctoring, you can't tell it unless you compared it very closely to the pattern.

thumb_084~0.JPGthumb_083.JPG

In my gallery, there's five different group photos of the butterflies, then individual pictures of each of the sixteen butterflies.