wood choice

gator

okay should have posted this a few days ago but didn't, going tomorrow to houston to pick up walnut and oak plywood. i just got some plans Lords prayer , john 3: 16, thinking about sold oak or walnut with words and scroll work with opposite backing. open to any suggestions to woods or better yet pictures of some others projects like this. i been using aromatic cedar but have found small pieces of letters break off real easy. i really don't like plywood but it don't break as easy. gonna try just to use as a backing board rest solid. open for suggestions thanks guys

I don't  know if you like the looks of bamboo or not, but I cut some things with it that are really small and delicate and I have used some as thin as maybe 1/120 on an inch,,,  not sure of the thickness but about that of a sheet of writing paper, and single layered at the time. (no stack cutting needed). Have you ever used it before ? Not sure if it stains well of not but it is the most dense wood I have ever cut

Gator if you are dead set on cedar you can do it!You would sandwich the thin cedar in between two other woods like if you were going to cut thin metal and not warp or damage the metal.It will work for you great.Put the pattern on top of the three pieces and go to town!If there's a will there's a way.I learned this from steve good,scrollsawworkshop!

cool thanks guys but started today and after cutting 1st piece couple 100 holes peeled paper and some chip out on top walnut plywood and some more on back. scraped plywood idea. this is a 6foot grandfather clock for my wife so money is not a consideration. going to glue and plain 1/4" walnut wood. going to add a lot of time but its for the woman in my life so only the best for her. thanks again