Shop builds/remodels

artmill

I am planning to work on my basement shop this winter or whenever the time permits and was wondering what everyone else has done with their shops. I thought that maybe those with a completed shop wouldn't mind sharing ideas and photos of there shop. It would kinda help. My space is approx 15'x26' with 10' ceiling unfinished. I would have to close in duct work and plumbing by installing a drop ceiling. Thanks Art

That be a great project for the winter . I would not be too concerned with the ceiling,with the duct work you could add a few outlets for heat down there ,plumbing add a mop sink , great for cleaning things up and washing up.

I assume the basement is dry . If you are like going too put up walls, I would suggest a pressure treated baseboard (board to floor)leave about 1/2 inch airspace between the block wall and the wall, insulation I would use a poly fiber board ,

Seeing you will be working on a concert floor I would suggest getting some rubber mats to put done in places were you stand (easier on the feet)

A separate electric circuit box is nice to have . Plenty of outlets for plugging stuff in 

I put vinyl stick down floor tiles on my floor. It is so much easier to keep clean then concrete, plus it really brightened up the space. I used the cheapest tiles they had at menards at $0.12 a piece it was a fairly cheap improvement to my shop. 

Something that I always think would be nice in a shop would be a wall of cabinets/storage. I see it a lot in other peoples shops (my shop is too small for that to work) 

A friend gave me a Grizzly dust collector with a number of gates along with the pvc. I have a stand-by whole house generator system that the circuit will be tied to. Rubber mats are a good idea, the tile floor is a good one too. Someone suggested building up the floor but i think that is a bit much, the home is 8 yrs old and super dry. I am looking for kitchen cabinets from a remodel that someone wants to dump too. Lighting, lighting, lighting is what I am told too. My biggest concern is outside walls.

I almost forgot my grandpa's remodeling advise. "install twice as many outlets as you think you need"

I have 12 sets of outlets in my 8'x20' shop, I think there are almost 30 in our 2-car garage. Now, the circuit couldn't handle having that many things running at once, but it is nice to never have to look for an extension cord or try to guess which machine is plugged in. 

Art if you fir out the outside walls with 1x2 pressure treated firring strips then do as david mentioned putting 1/2" foam insulation and then put up a plastic vapor barrior before hanging the osb or sheetrock you shouldhave no problems. You'll need to use a thinner electiral box for outlets but they are available at lowes and homedepot. Good luck and check back if ya need any more help.

sully