Need answer about motor and arbor

nrscroller

HI all

I got a nice 1725 rpm motor on a steel stand today cheap at an auction. I thought I could put my arbor that has a jacobs chuck on it so I could use flap sander etc. Shaft on motor appears to be about 5/8 and the arbor sleeve is like 1/2. Can I sand or file down that motor shaft as it is running to reduce the size so my arbor fits on it?. If so, what do I need to sand it with ???>?

Thanks Bill

You are going to have 2 problems with that setup.  First is the shaft size.  With careful use of a file you can get the shaft down to the 1/2" you need, OR you could see if you can get a 5/8 Jacobs chuck.  The second problem is that the 1725 RPM is going to be a bit fast.for a flap sander.  You probably will have better results if the RPM's were down to around 1000 - 1100.  Other than those issues looks like you have a nice potential setup.  Here is a link to a jacobs chuck on Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jacobs-No-36B-Drill-Chuck-3-16-to-3-4-Capacity-5-8-16-Mounting-Thread-Unused-/181189745657?pt=BI_Tool_Work_Holding&hash=item2a2fc01bf9

Hope this helps.

DW

• 2 weeks later...