puzzle making help

heppnerguy

I printed a photo that I really liked, of a friends baby and glued it to a 1/8 BBP board. I used regular wood glue. then I free cut it and put it in a baggy and sent it to them with my daughter who was going to their house. They really liked the puzzle and wanted to purchase more of them from me. I have never cut a puzzle before and I have a couple of questions for those who have.

1. should I use some particular type of glue or is the Elmer's wood glue, just fine?

2.  Do I need to put any kind of additional finish to the puzzle ? I printed the picture on a good Quality glossy photo paper.

3. What would be a fair price for a photo puzzle that measures  8 X 10 inches ?  I free hand cut it in about 20 minutes with a puzzle blade, probably about 120 -150  pieces.

any additional information would be appreciated.

Heppenrguy

I have made a few puzzles. I always use a clear-drying white glue or a decoupaging medium (mod-podge). I usually top coat it with acrylic spray before I cut it.

From what I have read about puzzle making there are lots of ways to attach the picture. I have also heard people using spray adhesive or contact cement. I think you find one that works for you and go with it. 

As for price, I have no idea so I checked ETSY.

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade/woodworking?q=custom+jigsaw+puzzle&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&ref=auto1

Judging from the listings you are good between $10-$100.  I would probably go between $20-$40 depending on how much I liked the friend.

I have made a few puzzles. I always use a clear-drying white glue or a decoupaging medium (mod-podge). I usually top coat it with acrylic spray before I cut it.

From what I have read about puzzle making there are lots of ways to attach the picture. I have also heard people using spray adhesive or contact cement. I think you find one that works for you and go with it. 

As for price, I have no idea so I checked ETSY.

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade/woodworking?q=custom+jigsaw+puzzle&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US&ref=auto1

Judging from the listings you are good between $10-$100.  I would probably go between $20-$40 depending on how much I liked the friend.

Thanks for your ideas and help. I never was enthused about making a puzzle but I now believe that people might be willing to buy something like this if the photo is an important one to them. Until my skills develop doing free hand puzzle cutting I think I will stay about $25. I will try you tips..so far the glue part seems to be ding OK. the next one I will try top coating it. i will not start charging until I am really comfortable with doing them.

Kevin. I don't use a pattern, I found it very easy to cut a puzzle, to my surprise.

the one important thing I keep in mind as I cut is to make sure that every piece interlocks. I do not like to build a puzzle when the pieces just sit beside each other

Thanks for chiming in. I like every bit of advice I pick up on.