Newbi needs help

Notty

Hello to all
I'm Dale and new to scroll saw world. I live at Lake Oconee, Eatonton, GA. I'm retired, like to fish, terrorize the neighborhood on my golf cart and drink a beer or two.
I just bought a Ryobi sc164vs to try to learn scrolling. I know this is bottom of the barrel equipment but then the operator an't much either. I got the saw together and running and then I went out and bought some pin less blades (small ones) that’s when my troubles started. I can see the blade bend as it is running and the machine makes a lot of racket while running. Anyone that wants to help me along with my learning curve would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I think I will go out the shop and try tension on the blades and check back here later.

Dale

Thanks guys,
I went out to the shop and fooled around and it was the tension. I moved the saw around because my bench is tall and standing up gets old. I tried  a make shift table (saw horses and plywood platform off my Baker scaffold) to much vibration. So I guess I will build a dedicated cabinet so I can sit down.
For an $80. saw it seems to work OK but I have nothing to compare it with. I think it will be OK  for a first saw.
Thanks for the help.

Dale

I have one of those saws under my work bench and I did use it for some time. My results were satisfactory but it was a little time consuming to use. The threaded rod that the adjustment knob is connected to,  is not very hard and it strips after a little use. be prepared for that to happen because it will. the good news is, you can by replacement parts on line, really cheap. When you get ready to replace a part or two, buy a couple at once, you will need them again. Like I said they are cheap to replace and easy to do by yourself. I did find that I was able to use 'non pinned' blades without having to buy anything special to do so . You do need to tighten the holding screws well, but it does work, at least it did for me. Also the first thing I did was take off the hold down mechanism for  the wood, It only gets in the way. the blades are so small that I think you would "have to want to cut off your finger" in order to do so.

Enjoy  your saw and take your time and you will do just fine. don't take on the harder pieces at first  look for simple ones like names and not too many cuts.        www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com      has a lot of easy and not so  easy free patterns to download, and you probably know the Village has a great assortment here, too.

Welcome aboard the Village and let us see some of your projects. We are started at the beginning, you know.

Dick

An easy fix to extra vibration on a stand/cabinet is to add sand bags to the bottom to add weight. I have used the ones made for putting in the back of cars in the winter (Canada must have those) 

another thing to try is putting a carpet pad between the saw and the stand/cabinet. I haven't actually done this but I have a buddy who swears it helps.

Hi Dale, I'm Don from Kansas. I have 2 SC164vs one I bought new and one I bought off craigslist for $65 and I have an old 24" craftsman. I love my Ryobi! It cuts very good and I have only changed the bellows.  They are close to the bottom of the list, but a great saw for the price! Hope you enjoy yours too.