My wife idea, please read and comment.

Luperez548

Here are few of my works. My wife is thinking in organising a home show with friends and relatives, Scroll saw is not popular in my Venezuela, so we have no experience in this, any idea to catch people attention? Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

post-14452-0-36725800-1377050787_thumb.jpg

post-14452-0-32300400-1377050973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luperez548

Well from the pictures I would say the quality of your work is not in question, and couldn't help but notice you use all thicker size woods which speaks of your skill level. As I and other artist have been discussing our art form is not necessarily flying off the shelves, because the economy across the world is in the toilet. Seriously at the moment if a product does not satisfy a basic need of life people are able to curb that impulse to purchase. So I am not certain you situation is particular to your region of the world, so don't allow yourself to get down or discouraged about the lack of sales.

Now about your question, again I don't know anything about your country,  however I would perhaps seek out other crafters in your area they don't necessarily have to be scroll saw artist, and work and angle from there, My idea is that the more people you are able to get involved the greater your attendance would be.

Just throwing it out there good luck, keep making saw dust.

Jerry

Oklahoma Scroller

I have not been interested in making things to sell because, for me, it made it like work to try to produce a lot of things so I would have enough for a good sale. I love making things for gifts for people and on 'requests' of others. I started offering some for sale on Facebook for the purpose of raising money to cover the cost of materials to continue my scrolling. Last month I sold about $400 worth of things. Perfect. I made things for people on request. I have found that I needed to ask people what they liked instead of making what I like. Made me cut things I never wanted to do and they sold themselves over and over. Example, I cut a picture puzzle of a photo I really liked on Facebook and sent it to the person in the photo and I got an immediate request for another one from that person. Results... a sale... and I found that I actually enjoyed making puzzles of which I had no interest in doing. I like the previous suggestion about finding other crafters and setting up some booths on a street corner where there are a lot of people. More people will stop if there is more variety to look at. Get several crafters together and attract people who might not have stopped with only one crafter on sight. go for it. make variety. have fun

If you do have people come to your home to looks at your beautiful work suggest that they may be doing their Christmas shopping while they are there and when they get there ask them what thing they would like to see made.  May be give each of them a small Christmas decoration as a gift.  Just to add to the previous suggestions.

Marg

Oh I thought of something else while I putting my shoes on this morning. We did a show up in Tulsa Oklahoma last year by a well known, well established, Christian denomination on the surface it appeared to be a great show awesome crafts, several vendors of various products, yet it lacked one key ingredient customers. Why? Simply because there idea of advertisement was sending kids out on the side of the road with poster board signs yelling craft show at the cars that drove by. So plan well, advertise, advertise,  advertise get the word of your event out there, or I am afraid your event will become little more than a tea party of friends who nine times out of ten have seen you work a thousand times over and passed it by. 

Jerry

Oklahoma Scroller

Oh I thought of something else while I putting my shoes on this morning. We did a show up in Tulsa Oklahoma last year by a well known, well established, Christian denomination on the surface it appeared to be a great show awesome crafts, several vendors of various products, yet it lacked one key ingredient customers. Why? Simply because there idea of advertisement was sending kids out on the side of the road with poster board signs yelling craft show at the cars that drove by. So plan well, advertise, advertise,  advertise get the word of your event out there, or I am afraid your event will become little more than a tea party of friends who nine times out of ten have seen you work a thousand times over and passed it by. 

Fantastic Jerry, you are very clear in your opinion, that's useful. Thanks a lot. 

Jerry

Oklahoma Scroller

Luis, great work on display, cannot comment much about selling to what has been already written by my friends, as for  me this is a hobby and did try to sell but like in Venezuela her in India no one has a clue about scrolling, so I ended up giving the things I made as gifts that made me happy. One word art name project sample(with different fonts) I made on a small display stand and gave it to one of the stores who promote our traditional crafts from all over India and today I got a request for a name plate to be made, so this could be a small start to support my hobby :) . Thought I will share this with you all since the subject is related to selling.

all the best Luis.

Luis I forgot to say I have never done a show on sold on the net as I work with thousands of people and word of mouth keeps me busy with pens portraits crosses etc they just keep coming.

Your wife's idea of home show is great, I bet you wish you thought of that first you'll never hear the end of it.  :lol: as long as it's just friends and neighbours you'll be alright because if it's strangers you might find them coming back and your kit gone so be aware.

It's better than a Tupperware party haa haa ;) and as Jerry said plenty of flyers and advertising if you want to sell by mail etc.

Roly

Luis I forgot to say I have never done a show on sold on the net as I work with thousands of people and word of mouth keeps me busy with pens portraits crosses etc they just keep coming.

Your wife's idea of home show is great, I bet you wish you thought of that first you'll never hear the end of it.  :lol: as long as it's just friends and neighbours you'll be alright because if it's strangers you might find them coming back and your kit gone so be aware.

It's better than a Tupperware party haa haa ;) and as Jerry said plenty of flyers and advertising if you want to sell by mail etc.

Roly

Thanks for that good tip Roly.

Your work is great looking.  For something that would work in your area i would try and have cuttings of some of the local popular stars or landmarks that people in your area like.  Just some items.  Look over what they sell in the gift shops or malls in your area and it will give you an idea of what folks buy.

Good luck

jim

penquin

Your work is great looking.  For something that would work in your area i would try and have cuttings of some of the local popular stars or landmarks that people in your area like.  Just some items.  Look over what they sell in the gift shops or malls in your area and it will give you an idea of what folks buy.

Good luck

jim

penquin

Great tip Jim, very appreciated.