Narrow Ribbon box

DWSUDEKUM

:) DW everytime I see your boxes I cringe at not being able to do one. I was a handyman tradesman for over thirty years and when it comes to making something square ,that's not my forte, not even close .I just made a harmonica box and can't get thing out :x guess the biggest problem is not having a table saw, big or small. your ribbons make me bite my teeth at their beauty. I've got to learn this process before Christmas. They really are a treasured gift to give some one. all the gold plating you add to them does so much to the "got to have in me".Someday you'll rub off on me and I hope it's soon. 4 months before Christmas :) 

I just love these ribbons boxes of yours, I'm going to have to make one sometime these there just amazing looking. Question what would you charge for a box like that DW.

Roly

Roly on a  box like that because it is small in this case 3 in x 5 in x 2 1/2 in. depending upon what show I was doing I would charge around $15 - $ 20.  I know some of the folks think is too cheap however I have never had a bad show where I have sold nothing.  I have found that most folks will generally spring for breaking a $20 bill go much over that and the will complement you on the work and not buy it. Anyway long story short this is what I would charge if I were doing a craft fair or show.  An art show is another matter.  You can charge a bit more there generally.

DW 

:) DW everytime I see your boxes I cringe at not being able to do one. I was a handyman tradesman for over thirty years and when it comes to making something square ,that's not my forte, not even close .I just made a harmonica box and can't get thing out :x guess the biggest problem is not having a table saw, big or small. your ribbons make me bite my teeth at their beauty. I've got to learn this process before Christmas. They really are a treasured gift to give some one. all the gold plating you add to them does so much to the "got to have in me".Someday you'll rub off on me and I hope it's soon. 4 months before Christmas :) 

Kevin,

I do not own a table saw either.  I have a 9" el cheapo bandsaw ( ryobi ) that is it for power saws other than a saber saw and scroll saw.  I cut the shape I want pick a side to be the reference for the squaring of the box and sand the box square.  Really though Kevin these type of boxes look complicated but I have seen you do work that is MUCH more complicated than making this box really is.  The ribbons are very easy to make.  The bow has a couple of inside cuts and the rest are outside cuts and then just a matter of fitting it all together.  I suspect the key to making one of these boxes is simply to take your time cutting out the ribbons.  Keeping the ribbon thickness uniform is probably the most difficult part however with a little bit of practice it becomes easier to cut them uniform.

DW

Roly on a  box like that because it is small in this case 3 in x 5 in x 2 1/2 in. depending upon what show I was doing I would charge around $15 - $ 20.  I know some of the folks think is too cheap however I have never had a bad show where I have sold nothing.  I have found that most folks will generally spring for breaking a $20 bill go much over that and the will complement you on the work and not buy it. Anyway long story short this is what I would charge if I were doing a craft fair or show.  An art show is another matter.  You can charge a bit more there generally.

DW 

DW .That's amazing I would expert to pay double or treble for a box as good looking as that and usually I find people look at the price and compare to the quality if the price is low there little brains think it rubbish price it high and they think quality piece, you then have the room to reduce it because there such good customers lol ;) 

Thanks

Roly.  

Thanks for the good tips, both on pricing and on cutting. I too have trouble making my boxes fit nice and square. I did a craft show once and I took a lot of intarsia, My experience was the same as yours. People oooed and awed at the work but it was way too high priced for the show. I did sell one piece for $175.00 but that was it. I was recently asked to participate in an art show and when I showed the person what I had to sell, he said your stuff is too cheap. I thought he was referring to the quality of my work, so I went on my way. Later, when the event came and gone, he wondered why I did not enter anything. He was just referring to my prices not my work. So there you go. You price according to where you are selling