NEED IDEAS

Rachael Werner

I make and sell cedar boxes with maple images inlayed into the hinged lids. I mass produce them so I can sell them for $20 each.  Toys sell well as do lettered signs with sports team names that I stack cut,so I can sell them for $5 each.  The item that I can produce the easiest and make the most money on are rubber band shooters.  I can make four per hour...just wish I could sell them that fast.  I sell some intartsia and I make two at a time to try to keep the cost down.

I have done pretty well with christmas ornaments. Fairly simple designs (less then 10 cuts) stack cut from hardwood and embellished with rhinestones seem to give the biggest bang for you buck. I also like baltic birch stained with food coloring to give a pop of color

last year I sold quite a few simple wire signs. I was given a stack of small (5"x7" ish) pieces of oak with the edges routered. I cut simple designs and added a curly wire to hang them with a couple of beads for good measure. 

I have also sold portrait type patterns that I have framed nicely. judging from your screen name, framing might be something you can do easily.  christmas, religious and animals are the most common things I have sold.

post-1379-0-30252600-1379284621_thumb.jpg

post-1379-0-36448300-1379284843_thumb.jpg

I have done pretty well with christmas ornaments. Fairly simple designs (less then 10 cuts) stack cut from hardwood and embellished with rhinestones seem to give the biggest bang for you buck. I also like baltic birch stained with food coloring to give a pop of color

last year I sold quite a few simple wire signs. I was given a stack of small (5"x7" ish) pieces of oak with the edges routered. I cut simple designs and added a curly wire to hang them with a couple of beads for good measure. 

I have also sold portrait type patterns that I have framed nicely. judging from your screen name, framing might be something you can do easily.  christmas, religious and animals are the most common things I have sold.

Thanks for attaching thumbnails.  These are darling.  Did you set the stones with glue by hand or use a hot gem setter? Thanks for all the hints and tips.  I am a custom picture framer by profession, but I don't produce the moudling myself.  I order and then cut to custom sizes.  I have been inspired by my father and grandfather watching them carve and build beautiful things out of wood growing up.  Ive always had a passion for it.