Need advise for cutting Compound Wristwatch

MNscrollmom

I am wanting to start cutting a compound wristwatch. I will need to make 3 major cuts: the front side of the watch, the side side of the watch, drill the hole for the mini-clock insert. I need some experienced scroll sawer to advise me as to which cut I need to make first.

The pattern can be seen at: http://www.stevedgood.com/watch.pdf

I'd sent a message to Steve to ask him but I know he is extremely busy. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million!!!! MNscrollmom

me i always start with inside cuts working from the smallest cuts to the largest cuts 1st incase of this watch i would start by drilling out the for the clock insert then cutting out the interior cut then i would cut the front face then move to the back finally cutting the sides

blame

me i always start with inside cuts working from the smallest cuts to the largest cuts 1st incase of this watch i would start by drilling out the for the clock insert then cutting out the interior cut then i would cut the front face then move to the back finally cutting the sides

blame

I would have to agree with Blame. Since you are going to use a Forstner Bit to cut this out, This would be your First form of Attack, This way you get out the smallest and most Fragile Area of your Workpiece...

Once you have your hole Finished. Then I would work on the inside. Then the Outside... If the walls are then, Then I would be careful not to squeeze your workpiece or apply too much pressure or you could snap the Piece.

Good Luck and We are waiting to see the Project once it's Finished!

OK I've been thinking about this most of the day and i figured i advised you right way to do this in my first post but i kept thinking i was advising you to do it wrong so i went and made a mini version just to give you an idea

i didn't use the pattern. i hand drew it onto the piece i was cutting. i also avoided using the foster bit since mine are in storage right now.

step 1. was to drill the starting holes for the interior cuts

post-206-134955517067_thumb.jpg

I then Cut out the interior cuts starting with the space where the clock would sit. then moving to the smaller cuts working my way bigger.

post-206-134955517074_thumb.jpg

post-206-134955517082_thumb.jpg

once i was finished cutting the internal cuts i moved on to the process of cutting the exterior cuts

i started of by cutting the front face

post-206-134955517088_thumb.jpg

i saved the piece i cut from the face to use later.

then moving to the back

post-206-134955517092_thumb.jpg

once i was done cutting the back i took the piece i save from cutting the front and taped it back on so we can cut the sides *warning* i used box tape but this doesnt really do the job of holding the pieces together very well so while your cutting be aware that your pieces may move on you.

post-206-134955517097_thumb.jpg

post-206-134955517102_thumb.jpg

once i was done here was the very crude concept

post-206-134955517107_thumb.jpg

but this was a quick less then 15 mins job to give you a better idea of how to go about cutting

i hope this helps happy scrolling

and if you dont have a foster bit its ok to cut the hole for the clock insert using the scroll saw.

blame

That's so nice I can hardly believe it!!! Taking the time to do it is one thing, but going thru the effort to take photos is really going the extra mile. :thumbs: I do have the correct sized forstner bit so I'll do it that way so the hole will be perfect. My daughter wants it so I'll paint it some wild color for her. I've been members of scroll saw groups in the past year but had never asked a question before. Since my husband doesn't scroll, he wouldn't have been able to have given me a great answer. As I said earlier, it's far too cold here this week to try to warm up the workshop to a comfortable temperature. I'll go out in a few days when it warms up a bit to the teens or 20's. I guess I'd best get to the store and buy the mini-clock to insert in it when I've got it done. Thanks again for your detailed assistance.

np MNscrollmom, I enjoyed it was fun and gave me something to do for abit lol

some other thoughts on this project is blade selection. I used a #5 I wouldnt use anything smaller you'll be cutting around 2" thick so depending on your machine it might be abit slow going even with the #5 blade and the they fit about perfect in a 1/16 twist bit hole.

@Travis thanks was an interresting little project

• 1 month later...

spirithorse some how i missed your reply and would like to say i'm sorry for not sending a reply earlier

in this age i find it truly amazing when people are so self centered to not care or want to help others achieve there dreams. i've spent the last 20 years in a community that is dieing were people only talk to one another to get stuff to gossip about you behind your backs. so we sold our own farm and moved to a beautiful community that truly cares for the members that live here it truly amazing here and my whole family is happier even thou they fought the decision to move. it just goes to show me if you take 5 mins out of our busy lives to help somebody else you gain a lifetime of happiness.

blame