Scroll saw table

Fish

I once made an overlayed plywood table that slid into place and was easy to remove..It worked OK but wasn't worth the effort to me so I abandon it. I wanted to raise the table area in hopes of cutting with a different part of my blades thus getting a longer blade life..Like I said before, it wasn't worth it to me. .

I have seen where other people have waxed the top of the saw or sprayed something on it to make it easier to slide their work on it. I have never felt a need to that myself, The table seems to work great for me.

I use a piece of formica spray glued  on .it cleans very good and is very slippery with wood on it.been using it for years ,same piece.I would not like to go back to metal tops again ,no benefit in that. :)

Kevin that is a good idea I had forgotten about formica I used to use that on table tops back in the 70's and get high on evostick glue.  :lol:

Roly

"......  I wanted to raise the table area in hopes of cutting with a different part of my blades thus getting a longer blade life....."

To achieve this longer blade life I cut  3/4" off the bottom of my worn blades and reinstall and use them this way.  I use standard Polar blades so loosing the teeth at the bottom does not effect my cut.  My saws will work with these shorter blades.  Not sure all saws will though.

• 1 year later...

I tried cutting a accessory table top for my saw out of 1/4 " masonite. I drilled holes on the underside for magnets. It worked well until the masonite started to warp a bit. Now, it has enough uplift that it pulls away from the saw. I think I'll try the 1/8" lexan or plexiglass method. I like the sound of that. I don't want to glue anything down to the table but may have to resort to that if my idea doesn't work out. Great info here on this forum. Thanks all,

Ray

It's very thin and you don't lose  but one tooth  on a blade having it on the table. :)

* But Kevin, that would depend on the number of teeth on the blade.

A sheet of wax paper might cause a lose of two teeth on some blades and none on others.

* Point two ... Babies lose teeth :D

* if you don't like your table top, change it. It's your table.

I use Minwax on my table 

because it's recommended for 'Wood' :lol::razz: