Blade Tension, etc

browders

I was reading another post and it raised questions for me not exactly related. I use a DeWalt saw which I love. Early on in my learning experience I read somewhere that the blade tension should be set as tight as possible without breaking the blade. In the other post a contributor said to you should never have to tighten the blade past 2 - 2.5. I have been setting the tension at 3.5 - 4 depending on the blade. To date I have not had any problems with blade breakage. Am I inviting disaster by have the tension set that high? 

Also in the same post I noticed people promoting some type of lift assist for the DeWalt saw. My experience has been that the arm will stay up unassisted at least long enough to change blades and set up projects. 

:) HI JIM, ON THE DEWALT IF YOU HAVE THE EASY LIFT ATTECHED, SOMETIMES ,AND MAYBE ALOT ,DEPENDING ON THE SPRING PRESSURE HOLDING THE ARM UP AFTER YOU CHANGE THE BLADE AND NOT LETTING THE ARM COMPLETELY DOWN .EVEN JUST A CENTIMETER UP WILL CHANGE YOUR BLADE TENTION KNOB NUMBERS HIGHER .I;VE HAD MY MACHINE APART SO MANY TIMES AND PROBABLY STRECHED THS SPRING ON THE EASY LIFT A BIT.I ALLWAYS HOLD DOWN ON THE ARM TO GET THE MAXIMUM THE ARM WILL GO TO KEEP THE NUMBERS DOWN ON THE TENTION KNOB WHEN REINSETING THE BLADE.WITH THE LIFTER YOU WON'T HAVE THAT PROBLEM.THE EASY LIFT IS A GREAT TOOL AND WORKS PERFECT,BUT I FIND GETTING THE SAME TENSION EVERTIME TO GET THE LOW NUMBERS IS INCONSISTANT.TO REMIDY THIS I HOLD DOWN ON THE ARM AND TIGHTEN THE BLADE.DONT BE SCARED THESE LITTLE INCONSISTANCES THAT WILL AFFECT THE NUMBERS {1}.BLADE SLIPPAGE,{2}NOT HAVING THE ARM COMPLETELY DOWN,{3}NOT HAVING THE TENTION KNOB COMPLETELY OFF WHEN REINSERTING THE BLADE,{4}SLOPPYNESS IN THE BEARINGS SOMEWHERE.THESE ARE ALL I CAN THINK OF FOR THE MOMENT.I PROBABLY SHOULD'NT HAVE SAID ANYTHING  WITH OUT  REALIZING ALL THE VARIANCES THAT COULD CONTRIBUTEE TO THE HIGH NUMBERS,SORRY :sad: DON'T WORRY THEY MAKE THEM EVERYDAY,LOL :) 

Kevin is right about why there may be small variations in the tension setting on the saw. However, I would say that you shouldn't get too hung up on what tension number you are using on the saw, but what tension you ultimately have on the blade. I know I read a how to article on adjusting the saw so you can get consistent 2-2.5 readings on the tension scale that involve making an adjustment internally to the tension rod. I haven't bothered to do this yet because I am still able to get fairly consistent tension on the blade in about the 4 range on the scale.

Bear in mind that the scale does not correspond to any particular tension amount at each setting. It is there just as a handy reference.

Barry

Thanks guys, you info helps. I guess I won't worry about it and just continue to do what I am doing until something changes. I started out with a Ryobi with the tension adjust in the back and no reference numbers. That cost a lot of blades. Since having the DeWalt, blade breakage has been reduced to almost zero. I love that machine. I'm sure the other brands out there have their advantages, but for the price I'm pretty happy.

All the experts in my woodworking club say to go by the note you get when you pluck the blade, which will be different for each size of blade so find what works best and use the tone rather than the numbers to duplicate a setting. Thicker blades will have a lower tone than thin ones akin to the way guitar strings act.