help it BROKE

vykus

Help, I was just going to do some finish sanding on this cross for my sister and it dropped out of my hands and fell about two feet and broke into 3 pieces. I attempted to glue two pieces together using Elmer's wood Max glue but no matter how I tried I could not hold it with enough pressure to make it stick because it is so delicate. Please help, your my only hope. 

post-18630-0-72089800-1382813191_thumb.jpg

Everyone has had something like that happen.

Too nice of peice to not fix!

Clean the old glue off as much as possible( I use a mini-file set I have for this lkind of work).--  get a clear drying glue---    lay pieces out on a very flat & STURDY surface-- large enough to give you working room around it.  Old piece of countertop works or some other similar thing.

Surface can be covered with a paper layer that the glue won't stick too--I use household wax paper- sometimes clamp it down with the clothespin type plactic/metal clamps I have) -- very carefully glue up using something as a glue carrier that is small and thin to minimise the excess (toothpicks can be used-Q-tips also) --- glue one area at a time--- Very carefully making sure the pieces are meshing well --push together --go to next-- push together. Gentle sliding using a pusher block of something works better than fingers!

NOW use a rubber band large enough to go around it all--lying flat.----YOU MIGHT NEED AN EXTRA set of hands here--- ASK for help-(another method of using the edges woould be a tempory laid together frame around all of it for the bands to go around or then use a web-strap type clamping system) --- put enough on to get it tight without it trying to bow up!  CAREFUL don't over stretch the band or it will try to BOW UP on you. I use smallish rubber bands for gluing clamps all the time. The Dollar Tree Store usually has a nice assortment for a George! Consider them like sandpaper-- bought to use up!

Now the hard part--- LET IT LAY! for at least a 24 hour period--  Then if you can leave it again for 24!  Now cheat and make backer pieces to the joined areas. If you make backer peices for the same spots that were not broken and add them all with it lying on your surface-- again give it the 24 hours. Even make one to hang it from and they will look like part of the design.

Should work; I have had it work well for me in the past!

The waiting is the hard part!

Another way would be to just cut a contrasting outline as a background piece and glue to that!

Hope this helps and "good luck".

BEST QUICK FIX MY FRIEND TOLD ME ABOUT .PUT A DROP OF GLUE ON LET IT SEEP AND SPRY WITHTHE ACTIVATOR AND IT HARDENS IMMEDIATLY. {2P.10} THICK CA GLUE IS WHAT I USE NOW.I USED ALMOST A WHOLE BOTLE ON A WOOD FLOOR REPAIR THAT COULD'NT HAVE BEEN DONE ANY OTHER WAY I KNOW OF.IT COMES IN THIN,MEDIUM,THICK AND GEL...PLACES THAT SELL TO CABINET MAKERS HAVE THIS   THE PLACES THEY GET THERE HARDWARE FROM.THE GLUE IS IN A SQUEEZE CONTAINER AND THE ACTIVATOR IS A SPRAY CAN WITH A RED SPRAY TUBE TO GET PRECISE SPRAYING. :)

Thanks for all the great tips, I feel more confident now that I will be able to save it. If I had more time etc. maybe I would redo it but I have to much to do and very limited time that I can work on my saw. I will go get some CA glue and give that a try. I will repost when I have completed the process so you can all see the results. How will the glue affect oiling and spraying with poly. I have no intention to use any stain on this. 

Matt try putting a backer on it different colour same shape and glue it to that job sorted.

Roly

PS: A bit like this one but this wasn't broken.

Roly, that looks really great, I will consider doing this if I need to, but I would still like to keep it as a single piece. I picked up some wood goop, I could not find a CA glue with an activator at any of the local shops, I think it should work.