Stacking, tape, and what works for me.

browders

I don't often stack projects, but there are occasions when it's preferable. I have tried using clear tape to hold things together, but found it to be difficult. It seems that no matter how hard I try to get a good stick with the tape, I always end up with sawdust getting underneath and obscuring the line. What seems to work for me, is to secure the two pieces of wood together using a pin nailer in the waste sections. After nailing, I then clip and file the protrusions on the under side so as to not scratch the saw table. I then attach the pattern in the usual manner and saw. So far this has worked well in the applications I've tried.

I use blue painters masking tape to hold the wood together and then glue stick the pattern on top to the painters tape. that way there is no way for the saw dust to collect under your clear tape, if you use clear tape over all your cuttings then the problem may continue to exsist, After I finish my cuts the blue tape peels off easily and leaves no glue traces to deal with after you finish.  Just one more solution that works well for me.

HELLO JIM,I'VE ALWAYS SPRAY GLUED THE BACKS OF THINGS I STACK CUT,AND STACK THEM ON TOP OF EACH OTHER AND SQUEEZE .HERE IN THE VILLAGE RECENTLY I HEARD ABOUT CA GLUE IN THE CORNES OF STACKED ITEMS TO CUT .I LIKE THAT IDEA BEST .HAVENT TRY IT YET BUT LOVE IT :) HURRAY FOR THE VILLAGES TIPS AND TRICKS! :thumbs:

I usually clamp my stack together and use blue painters tape around the edges, spray adhesive on the pattern, stick it and cut. When I do my next cutting, I think I'm going to try and cover the whole surface with the blue painters tape and then apply the pattern to that. This way I don't have to deal with difficult pattern removal.

Barry

If I am preparing more pieces then I can cut then and there, I usually use clear packing tape on both edges of each corner and the center edges of each side. Acetone will take any glue traces off. But if I am going to cut the piece immediately, I use blue painters tape. I have found that in the heat and humidity of Houston, the blue painters tape will only stick for about 48 hours. I always find it amazing that if you get 10 scrollers together to discuss how to do something, you will end up with 10 methods of doing it - and they all work!

Edited by TXScrollsawartist

Are you sure about that Michael. I usually find that when you ask 10 scrollers for their opinions on a subject, you will usually end up with 11 or more opinions...lol  That's what makes scrolling great. For the most part, there is no single right way to do anything. I will routinely try something I haven't tried before just to see if it may be a better way for me to do it. Sometimes they work for me and sometimes they don't. We can always learn something from each person we interact with. That's what makes the Village such an awesome place.

Barry

I just use the elcheapo masking tape from the dollar store to wrap the stack and cover the top piece. Then a little shot of spray glue to hold the pattern on. Like mentioned above it only sticks for 24-48 hours so I make sure to do it just before I start. And it peels off with no residue at all.

Am I opinion #11 or #12? ;)

Barry is right.. you not only  get many ideas about doing the same thing but more important, even than the oppinions, is learning that everyone has something to share with others and we can learn something from everyone here. No one has all the answers, except maybe my wife, but she doesn't scroll so no compatition here.  Just kidding..I may  not be breathing on my own if she ever sees this post

I use double stick tape between the stacks.

On the larger projects, I use Press&Seal (has to be rolled on)

Otherwise, blue painters tape

Spray adhesive for pattern.

Clear packing tape over the pattern and around the edges of the

stack to help the double stick tape hold.

It works for me.

But I might try the glue gun thing.

Edited by LarryEA

Barry is right.. you not only  get many ideas about doing the same thing but more important, even than the oppinions, is learning that everyone has something to share with others and we can learn something from everyone here. No one has all the answers, except maybe my wife, but she doesn't scroll so no compatition here.  Just kidding..I may  not be breathing on my own if she ever sees this post

Richard, we might just be married to the same person, or we married the two smartest women on the planet because mine frequently reminds me that she knows everything.  lol

BArry