shout box

sawdust junkie

This is from Wikipedia: shoutboxsayboxtagboardchatterboxchat box, or comment section is a chat-like feature of some websites that allows people to quickly leave messages on the website, generally without any form of user registration.

I remember the good old days when people use to write comments (graffiti) on the bathroom walls. I guess in today's society, the kids don't go out so shoutbox is their bathroom wall.

It's just a brief posting area.  Think of it as a public instant messenger (kinda like twitter).  Usually it is used for stuff that doesn't need a whole lot of interaction or importance.  The posts aren't archived like regular forum posts.  I use it for announcements, reminders, etc.  Other members use it to say happy birthday, well wishes, updates, or to say they're in the chat room.  It's there for everybody to use if they want to say something brief.  It's just one extra feature that can be fun and informative.

When you click the Forum tab, it's on the right.  It only shows up on the main forum page.  If you don't see it, the sidebar might be collapsed.  Look at the far right of the blue bar that says "town square".  You'll see a grayed out arrow.  If you hover over it, it will turn black.  Click that and it will expand your sidebar.  The sidebar holds some cool stuff, like the Shout Box, the Calender, recent topics, and recent uploads to the gallery. 

Once you step into a subforum or a thread, the sidebar isn't there.  BTW, a lot of those widgets on the right can also be closed by clicking the little X in the corner instead of collapsing the entire sidebar.  They don't go away completely, but they do collapse.