Finishing opinon please

nrscroller

Hi

I was wondering what everyones opinions are for a low odor finish I can dip my small 1/8 inch bb plywood ornaments in

I see posts for 

50/50 low odor mineral spirits and mineral oil

50/50 BLO and mineral spirits.

Which is going to give me less of a yellow look and not shiny

Also can I just use either without  having to seal them?? KInda hard in a basement to keep smelldown.

thanks

Bill

Edited by nrscroller

Hey Bill, I don't think mineral oil will dry, but I may be wrong. I know when I used it on cutting boards the rags never seem to dry. BLO/mineral spirits will yellow the BB ply slightly. You could thin some polyurethane. It's low odor and may even dry faster than BLO

Oil won't make it shiny.  It'll only accentuate the grain.  It will also yellow it a bit.  

I personally like using Lemon Oil.  You find it in the grocery store in the dusting supplies area.  I just pour it into a tupperware, dunk the project, wipe off excess, and let it dry on some old cardboard.

To give it a glossy, or protective finish, look for a clear acrylic spray.  I find these have much less odor than others.  I also find that if I spray them when the wife and kids are out of the house, I hear far fewer complaints.  ;)

I am still experimenting with my finishing. I have tried many things but I have yet to really fund one that satisfies me and gives me what I want to achieve. I use lemon oil for most of my scroll items but find a lot of people prefer a high gloss on my intarsia pieces and that only comes out to my satisfaction, once in awhile. I just keep struggling.

Dick

heppnerguy

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing:

The only finish I use on all my projects is polyurethane which is low odor and available in semi gloss. I apply three to four thin coats sanding in between each one. Then I complete each with carpenters wax. Amazing how the richness of the wood grain comes alive especially in the exotic hardwood.