hair pin

heppnerguy

my oldest grand daughter and  I were looking for a particular pattern, which we never found and I don't even remember  what we were evern looking for, but never the less, we  ran across these hair pins. That was really not the correct phrase but I do not remember what that was, but anyhow, my grand daughter said to me," I bought one for $15. I guess it was not that bad of deal."  I thought these were something that the women in Mexico and South America wore in their hair for decorations. She told me that a lot of people use these when they put their hair up in the back of their heads. So I thought I would like to try and make one for her. so this is what I did today.

It was easy to make, took less than an hour and I made it curved because she said that was more comfortable to wear.

some of the women in the village might enjoy making them. they sell for $15 to $85 and up, if you put some kind of jewel in them.

I thought it would be a great inlay item..

Dick

heppenrguy

post-2238-0-35255700-1385530291_thumb.jpg

post-2238-0-91743000-1385530546_thumb.jpg

Roly,

I will post a pattern that  I  made for this simple 'barrette'. Many of these are straight, with one or two prongs. I was told that the curved ones are more comfortable so I curved this one. It is extremely important that the wood of choice is quite strong because they take a lot of abuse. It so happens that the one I made, broke right away. I thought the wood was plenty strong,but i was wrong.  I told my granddaughter that she was my guinea pig  and when it broke, I was OK with it because I needed to learn anything I could, if I was ever going to make any more. The star cutout probably was not helpful, in this case, because it probably weakened it some too.  

I was going to post the pattern for those who might be interested, but I guess i did not save it.. I will try and make another and post it,  I think the length was about 7 inches.

Dick

heppnerguy

Roly,

I will post a pattern that  I  made for this simple 'barrette'. Many of these are straight, with one or two prongs. I was told that the curved ones are more comfortable so I curved this one. It is extremely important that the wood of choice is quite strong because they take a lot of abuse. It so happens that the one I made, broke right away. I thought the wood was plenty strong,but i was wrong.  I told my granddaughter that she was my guinea pig  and when it broke, I was OK with it because I needed to learn anything I could, if I was ever going to make any more. The star cutout probably was not helpful, in this case, because it probably weakened it some too.  

I was going to post the pattern for those who might be interested, but I guess i did not save it.. I will try and make another and post it,  I think the length was about 7 inches.

Dick

heppnerguy

Ok Dick, great I'll look out for it, I have a few bits of hard woods hanging around.

Roly

I went through my recycle bin and found the rough pattern that  I  made. there are a couple of lines that need to be ignored but that is rather obvious. from here you add or change what every meets your fancy. I hope anyone interested, has fun with it and posts the ones they make. It sounds like a lot of long haired women and girls would like one of these.  Inlay would go nicely with these.

Dick 

heppnerguy

oh the one I made was 6 3/4 inches

post-2238-0-44606700-1385574053_thumb.jpg

I made a couple of these, but then chopped a ton of hair off and have been waiting until it grew out again to use them again. 

In Minnesota/Wisconsin, we call them Hair Forks.

If you go to a site like ETSY.com you can see a lot of things people are doing with these. http://www.etsy.com/search?q=hair%20fork&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US

A guy on some of the scrolling sites Pabreu https://www.facebook.com/Pabreuwoodworking has some beautiful carved versions.

My thoughts on "Pitch Fork Hair Pins"

A pattern and warped wood.  Sounds like a plan.

But seriously  here are some thoughts.

Kiln drying lose some elasticity and becomes more brittle. Green wood is best if you can get it.
Air dried is a second choice.  Choose a straight grain wood since any fibers that “run out†along the edge are prone to splintering.
Try Beech, White Oak, or Ash. Maple and Red Oak might be worth a try also.
My choice is Ash for some reason.

Lets go cut a branch off a tree, A Bamboo tree if we can find one. Now there is a flexable wood.
Edited by LarryEA

My thoughts on "Pitch Fork Hair Pins"

A pattern and warped wood.  Sounds like a plan.

But seriously  here are some thoughts.

Kiln drying lose some elasticity and becomes more brittle. Green wood is best if you can get it.
Air dried is a second choice.  Choose a straight grain wood since any fibers that “run out†along the edge are prone to splintering.
Try Beech, White Oak, or Ash. Maple and Red Oak might be worth a try also.
My choice is Ash for some reason.

Lets go cut a branch off a tree, A Bamboo tree if we can find one. Now there is a flexable wood.

you might have some good ideas.. however warped wood is not the answer,, it is a  compound cut...I can't really think or the name if it...you know like when you are making a 3D piece. you cut it on one side and then turn it 1/4 turn and cut the 'wavy' cut..

Dick