KEEP ON TRUCKING & THINK

Doug

The hand is a pattern by Paul (Grampa) - thanks Paul,  I am not sure whether it was patterned after his own right hand.  Paul captioned it with "RESPECT YOUR TOOLS".  The letter "S" and the letter "O" are not my favorite letters to cut and since Paul had two of one and three of the other and a total of sixteen letters, I decided to title it with the five letter word "THINK."  The wood is Afromosia which is a extraordinarily hard African Hardwood.  2524 on the Janka scale compared to 1010 for black walnut and1333 for white oak.  After cutting it was given a bath in natural Danish oil and wiped dry, left to dry for at least 8 hours and then the same bath and wipe down, and then after at least 8 hours 0000 steel wool and blow off with air compressor.

The truck is a Steve Good pattern.  He had a rather attractive lady in a reclining position on top of the truck which I left off and I changed the lettering to suit what I wanted.  The wood is Macacauba which is a central and South American hardwood which is 2580 on the Janka scale.  Finished in the same manner as the hand.

I love trying different hardwoods but nearly always use 2/0 or # 1 FD spirals and these used a lot of blades since I nearly always work with 3/4 to 5/4 wood.  I also think they are harder on my saws so I probably need to stick more with woods like Walnut, Maple, Sapelle, and others lower on the Janka scale and which cut much easier.

post-8034-0-22149000-1386894797_thumb.jpg

post-8034-0-30505300-1386896719_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Doug

nice cutting job. The wood looks like mahagany to me.. i have never been able to get nice clean looking cuts with spiral blades. I tend to ignore them for that reason

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks to all for the kind comments.

Dick - the Afromosia is frequently referred to as African mahogany