Frustrated scroller!!

nrscroller

Hi all, 

I started to make some  more of those nativity crosses like I posted here that I did. I went to menards and got some ash boards because I thought they might be easier than my 1/4 inch bb ply, but they aren't wide enough. I looked around the shop and found some 1/2 inch oak and so I started doing one. Well, I can't seem to get my blade to co-operate enough to cut some of the straight lines and now I have a headache also. HMMMMM, must be that last minute Christmas stuff I need to get done.  I decided a bowl of chicken noodle soup for lunch was a better idea right now. I think I like working with my 1/8 inch bb plywood a lot better than anything else.

Bill in Wisconsin

Hi Lee

That's unfortunate. Don't know what type of blade your using but I've cut a lot of items in oak 1/2" and thicker with a #7 Olsen blade and have never had any problem. Your Nativity crosses are beautiful and would great done in 1/2" oak. Sometimes it's best to walk away, give some thought to the problem. Don't give up, I'm sure you'll solve the problem.

Hi Lee

That's unfortunate. Don't know what type of blade your using but I've cut a lot of items in oak 1/2" and thicker with a #7 Olsen blade and have never had any problem. Your Nativity crosses are beautiful and would great done in 1/2" oak. Sometimes it's best to walk away, give some thought to the problem. Don't give up, I'm sure you'll solve the problem.[/quote

Sorry for calling you Lee, Bill.

This type of problem usually comes about because one is using too small of a blade or one that is not agressive enough or   not enough tention on the blade or the blade may be dull. On harder wood, like oak, a new sharp blade is required in order to not have the blade wonder. 1/2 hour of usage should be a good standard/

this is just my thoughts on this, others may disagree. I guess we will see

I wanted to use oak for a job that was 1'' thick .Boy was that slow cutting .After cutting 6'' I decided to switch to something else or pull my hair out.I tried lots of blades but this may have been the hardest wood I ever cut. Might have been ash not sure ,but I threw it all away what I had so I don't make that mistake again . Oh yeah now I remember it was wood from a chair ,solid wood no cushion.I saved a lot of chair seats too!

When cutting wood other than plywood your blade can follow the grain somewhat.  Sharp blades, slow feed rate and highest tension on the blade are what is required.  I know that some saws (DeWalt and others) will not tension the blade as much as do Hegners and older Jet saws.  What brand of saw are you using?