scrollsaw blades

tracyguy

I have a dedicated holder that I have on the bench when the scroll saw is in use and put away with the saw at other times. Additionally I keep my 'supply' of blades in their bags in a cigar box in a closet. 

Here's a pic of the dedicated holder. Steve at WWMM would be proud of this project made from pallet wood. A nice piece of oak that I slided off a skid. Drilled some holes and use a leather stamp set to label the size blades.  I'm not sure if you can make those out? Brushed on BLO for a finish.

The back row is for new blades and the front is for blades that have seen some use.

post-18045-0-38811700-1387044537_thumb.jpg

This should be an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it.

I used some 1/2" pvc pipe I had laying around as well as some small wooden balls to plug the ends of the pipe. I cut them to length and mounted them at a slight angle in a pine board that I fastened above my scroll saw. Now when I need a blade I just reach up and grab the one I need. For storage of extra blades I made a box from dwsudekum's pattern. The box is made from scrap maple I had, and some pieces of trim bought from home depot. There is more room for blades under the trays. The box is very handy and it is kept next to my saw, it is a little dusty.

I will post pics of these later if you would like to see. I just got off a 12 hour shift plowing snow, relaxing a bit then back to bed to do it all over again.  I know if I go out to the shop now I will start working on something and I have to be back to work at 1:30 am. So it will have to wait until after work tomorrow.

Hi Martin

Re: Balde storage I made a storage box using scrap pieces of oak using a forsner bit I drilled a number of holes into each piece and then glued and stacked each to the height required. i made a lid so it's closed when not in use. This holds all the blades I normally use and it stores my reamer as well. I made a second storage item that holds the same blades I use in tubes. The additional blades I leave packaged being I buy in bulk to last for up to two years. These items on left on my work bench by my scroll saw and within arms reach.

post-20386-0-65567100-1387075837_thumb.jpg

post-20386-0-84330000-1387075871_thumb.jpg

I use the tubes from Sloan's. The lids have a tab with a hole in it for hanging. I nailed a bunch of 2 1/2 inch finish nails into the side of the workbench that sits next to my saw and hung the tubes from the nails. Used a label maker to label each tube. Not fancy or pretty, but keeps them organized and handy.

Barry

I found a medical supply store online.... Got about 50 1/2 inch plastic test  tubes and a holder   all for  well under $20.00  including shipping. 

I have  enough extra  tubes  for growth  and keeping  all  the different types of blades seperate  and  nicely organized.  That  was  about a year ago.

Jim. . .

I found a medical supply store online.... Got about 50 1/2 inch plastic test  tubes and a holder   all for  well under $20.00  including shipping. 

I have  enough extra  tubes  for growth  and keeping  all  the different types of blades seperate  and  nicely organized.  That  was  about a year ago.

Jim. . .

Jim,

Do you remember what site it was? If so I would be very interested in the link.

Barry

I have one of those storage cupboards with the small drawers,I keep them in there, when I get a new size I mark the number of the blade and drill bit needed on a popsicle stick and then when I use my blades I have a small pill bottle ductaped down to my hegner stand and I put some blades along with the popsicle stick marker in there so I can keep track of what size they are.

Bill