Dust Protection

browders

Richie I've just check that one out, looks like a good one do you wear glasses and do they steam up, I use a filtered mask myself and some times it make my glasses steam up??

Roly

Hi Roly yes I wear glasses and no they don't steam up, its the only mask I have found that doesn't steam up when I wear glasses.

Richie

Hi Roly yes I wear glasses and no they don't steam up, its the only mask I have found that doesn't steam up when I wear glasses.

Richie

Thanks Richie I might get one of them and test it out and as for wearing a mask it's seems some don't bother. I say do what your happy working with there are no rules, except it could alter how long you live for. :lol:

Roly

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late responding to this - but here's my 2 cents worth anyway.

I hate masks.  I have worn them at times when I think about it but not often enough.  That has changed...

Last year I was cutting a bunch of grooves on 2x4's to handle some lattice pieces.  After that session I did notice a lot of dust in the air,  did a bit of clean up with broom and vac.  Then SPENT THE NEXT 3 DAYS IN THE HOSPITAL WITH PNEUMONIA!!!

Needless to say - i now try to wear a mask more often.  I just did replace my disposables with a 3M 6000 series lightweight.  More comfort,  better filtration and it doesn't bother my glasses.

I wear a mask only when I am planing.... when scrolling ......no mask...... I built a shop dust collector that hangs from the ceiling a few months back, and it has preformed well IMO. I am thinking of using a very small fan by the scroll saw to blow the dust more away from me.

Edited by smitty0312

• 3 months later...

I dont wear a mask for any of my woodworking...i dont smoke and last few trips to dr my O2 stats have been on par with that of a smoker. And on top of that have had a horrid cough for months...i think its time to invest in a respirator. gonna play around and end up with copd oe something crazy like that...fine dust from scroll saw and sanding on my lathe with no dust collection system is catching up with me.

so the good respirators that have the 2 filters...they seem to be dust/fumes...how often do you guys change your filters?

A friend of mine that is 89 years old Has COPD.  He smoked for 30+ years but has stopped for the past 30.  He works with me a lot in my shop so he asked his doctor (for his COPD) if the sawdust may have caused his problem.  His doctor told him: "You do not get COPD from sawdust"  His words, not mine.  He told him that there is plenty of general air polution out there to cause issues like his.

I wear a 3M Half face mask with 2 canisters, also have a dust collector running sucking from the top and bottom of the saw table and a box fan hanging from the ceiling with a pleated filter on the intake side.  Works for me. :)  Might be a little over kill?

Edited by tvman44

I wear a 3M Half face mask with 2 canisters, also have a dust collector running sucking from the top and bottom of the saw table and a box fan hanging from the ceiling with a pleated filter on the intake side. Works for me. :) Might be a little over kill?

that is what i am looking at...roughly how often do you change filters?

I use a respirator mask. I have asthma and it is essential that I use one. I think I could get away without it for baltic birch but I did some bloodwood without it when I first started and my lungs complained quickly and thats when I got the mask. Now I use it religiously. 

I use the same type. I'm not as um.. "experienced" as some of the other members here and figure if I play my cards right and do simple things like wear a mask I can be doing this for another 40-50 years. It's almost like the seat belt in the car, if I don't have it on I feel weird. I wear glasses too and don't have any fogging issues like the cloth masks, smearing issues yes :cool:  but no fogging. 

What ever you breath ,fine dust makes paste and coats moist things and makes breathing more difficult ,and coughing and blowing your nose whether it causes anything with a name  to me is irrevelent ,I haven't heard anybody say with any gusto that it was good for you in anyway ,if your have a condition of any type breathing problem   it is simply really troublesome and can be very serious serious .the rest are just playing with fire ! Believe me when I tell you when you are having problems getting your breath (NOTHING ELSE MATTERS) polin ,sprays ,flour dust ,saw dust ,perfume ,does not matter ,Take care be smart ,take some well meaning advice from some one who Knows first hand you can not reverse it .find something that works for you before you find out the hard way like me! I was once BULLET PROOF TOO ,NO  MORE ,you damn sure don't want condition your every activity like I do to be to do things ,because of breathing problem ,and live with a inhaler strapped on your belt !

• 2 weeks later...

I wear a 3M mask also that have those little pink filters on the sides. It doesn't steam my lenses but they do get dust in them also. I ordered a smaller one and it should be here  today or tomorrow so looking forward to that. Ordered extra filter things that go on the sides also. The blower on my saw is pointed so the dust blows away from me but I can't get over how much dust there actually is all over the shop when I get done for the day. I try to clean up after I'm done for the day to try to cut down on all that dust. Well any how a dust mask is a must,, You can't  go to Walmart and buy a new set of lungs...  Fay

A friend of mine that is 89 years old Has COPD.  He smoked for 30+ years but has stopped for the past 30.  He works with me a lot in my shop so he asked his doctor (for his COPD) if the sawdust may have caused his problem.  His doctor told him: "You do not get COPD from sawdust"  His words, not mine.  He told him that there is plenty of general air polution out there to cause issues like his.

Jim

I am not a doc but I think your friend maybe needs a new one or needs to ask the same question of a pulmonologoist (sp?).  I just cut and pasted the following from a posting last year that you can follow if you click on the thread in my prior posting in this thread.  Carl also speaks from experience when he makes his comments on dust.

Read on ONLY if interested in potential harm from sawdust.

Excerpt from a British Medical Journal Article:

"It should be noted that in some of the large scale general population studies assessed by the American Thoracic Society, the original aim was to determine the overall impact of workplace exposures on the population burden of COPD, and not necessarily to identify workplace specific causes. However, in certain studies, information was sought on the specific substances and occupations associated with increased prevalences of COPD. Occupations linked to increased prevalences of COPD include construction, leather, rubber, plastics manufacturing, plastics and rubber workers, textiles, food products, spray painters, and welders. Specific substances linked to higher prevalences of COPD include quartz, welding fumes, wood dust, sawdust, asbestos, and solvents."

The full article can be found at:

http://oem.bmj.com/c...t/62/4/212.full

And a couple of other articles:

http://www.wood-data...s-and-toxicity/

http://billpentz.com...clone/index.cfm

This is over simplification ,BUT when you have breathing problems ,everything and anything from fumes to particals irratate and cause problems of some kind and some magnatude ,depending on the severity of the intake .COPD never gets better ( they tell me) .Age and COPD are my only afflictions ,but BABY thats is enough .Do what you can to keep it from being one of you problems . I am not selling a damn thing , You are the capt. of your own ship .I will simply tell you with all sincerity ,when I have trouble breathing (NOTHING ELSE MATTERS) you do not want to know what thats LIKE!!!  That's all I can say!!