The first scrolled bowl ever.

Phantom Scroller

This is the first bowl I've ever done from a pattern of Russell's (Birchwood) which was a test one it's made from MDF spray painted in gold and the next I'll try will be the one DW did. There's one thing I've learned is don't rush it.

I'll have to find some decent wood and give it a go, thanks Russ and DW for the patterns.

Happy New Year.

Roly

post-2228-0-63701900-1388586065_thumb.jpg

post-2228-0-25886200-1388586068_thumb.jpg

post-2228-0-51817800-1388586071_thumb.jpg

post-2228-0-61235000-1388586073_thumb.jpg

post-2228-0-02107800-1388586079_thumb.jpg

post-2228-0-34355000-1388586082_thumb.jpg

Excellent job Roly.  The thing about these patterns is that they are just guides and as such you can make up different blanks and try out different ideas some will work some will not but all are learning experiences.  Thanks for sharing your work.  May your new year be full of prosperity and learning.

DW

Ha!!!  Great it worked  :)  it came out great!  How long did it take you to cut it?  No problems with the pattern?

Thanks for taking the time to post a picture for us Roly, looks great! 

I'll post the pattern now that i know it will work.  Thanks again

Russell

It took about 45min to cut no issues used a No5 blade a spot of glue on each outer curve which took the longest time making sure you align the next piece every time but the hairdryer worked great to dry it as I went and my block of wood to keep the pressure on while I dried it.

Great pattern thanks.

Roly

Very nice! The painted mdf came out great, did you prime it first? Did it dull your blades faster than a wood?

Well first, I found it very easy to cut I used one blade and then threw it out and I used no primer just two coats of gold spray paint. I probably will use a thicker piece in wood next time.

The MDF was 1/4" thick. Make sure you use a mask with MDF bad stuff for the old lungs.

Roly