Planer Blades

browders

Okay folks, I haven't demonstrated my capacity for dumb questions in a while so it's time. I have a DeWalt DW 735 planer. Somehow I have managed to put some nicks in the blades to the point where I had to change them out. I reading about the planer somewhere online and someone described the blades (knives ?) as "disposable." So is it possible to have them sharpened? 

Jim, The blades on the 13" planer are reversible and you can have them resharpened. I have resharpened mine many times. I screw the blade down to the edge of my work bench with a couple of small screws cut side up. Then i use my side grinder with a sanding disc and matching the angle as close as possible put a new edge on each one. Try to go from one end to the other the same number of times on each blade. Now this is not recommended i'm sure by the manufacturer but at $60 a set for these blades it works and i've done mine at least a dozen times with no problems.

sully

It's my question to my friend here in town .if i nic the blades what then .He says the planer only cuts down in tiny increments and a quick sanding removes the missed line of wood a 1/16 inch wide ,no big deal he says ,you can almost rub the missed part off. i've never used my planer so this is all new to me :)

sully, by cut side up I assume you mean the point or long side down.

:)

Bob yes. The beveled or angled side faces up. this is the edge you will be sharpening. Very simply the blades get screwed to the bench just as they are taken out of the machine. Don't put very much pressure down on the sander. If your blades turn blueish you are pushing to hard or staying in one spot to long. I use a sanding disc rather than the grinding disc as it removes much less material also try to match the angle as close to the factory as you can. Just take your time and be carefull of the cutting edge they are super sharp.The only time i work on the back side is if i have a major nick and then i use my belt sander just to remove the burr and no more.

sully

Edited by sullyscroller