Spalted wood question.

Hi All.

Visited a friend to cut up some kindling wood for the pensioners in the area and notice this piece I think it's beech but not sure, So the question is what would you do to dry it out and reduce the splitting not forgetting it is soaked. 

This is beautiful it will be worth waiting for.

Roly

post-2228-0-06655300-1389358639_thumb.jpg

Roly, that is beauty times two!

There is nothing you can do to reduce the splitting.

As the wood dries the fibers will separate. Some wood

will naturally split less that others.

The water takes up space and when it evaporates there is nothing

replacing it, the wood shrinks.

Sorry, best of luck.

Larry

I've never done it but I've read that turners soak green wood in Polyethylene glycol (PEG) to prevent checking. There is a load of stuff about it on the internet. This link seemed pretty authoitative: http://owic.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/pubs/peg.pdf

The other question is what to make with it that will preserve that great look.I was reading a recent issue of Woodsmith #210 and they had plans for a band saw vase that would make very good use of this special piece of wood.

Nice find be sure to show us what you make.

Roly, do you have any plans for it yet? If you plan to use slices, then I'd slice it now and have it stabilized. You can get stabilizing materials at Woodcraft. Basically it's a resin that you soak the wood in (it works best if it's in a vacuum chamber) and it will hold everything together. If you plan to use it for scrolling, the stabilizing will eat up your blades. Spalted wood is great for making pens. 

Roly, do you have any plans for it yet? If you plan to use slices, then I'd slice it now and have it stabilized. You can get stabilizing materials at Woodcraft. Basically it's a resin that you soak the wood in (it works best if it's in a vacuum chamber) and it will hold everything together. If you plan to use it for scrolling, the stabilizing will eat up your blades. Spalted wood is great for making pens. 

I don't have any plans at the moment but to just look at it, I think I'll paint both sides at the moment with a wood sealant and like it dry through the bark, Has any one tried melting wax candles and pouring it over the ends would that work not tried it, also someone said put it in a bin liner full of sawdust which would slow down the rate of drying.

I don't know what to do for the best result ?

Roly

Hi Roly re you spalted timber. You could use PEG or many other methods which could be used. You're more or less in the lap of the Gods and pot luck into the bargain. If you're not in a hurry, put it outside somewhere dry and airy preferably off the ground and mother nature will do the rest. Just keep an eye on it as when it's damp the fungus will still be active but once it's dry the fungus is dead as the proverbial DODO. Hope this helps Roly. I tried this once in the MICROWAVE. The timber was passable, but my black eye took about three weeks to disappear.

Rob Roy.

I don't have any plans at the moment but to just look at it, I think I'll paint both sides at the moment with a wood sealant and like it dry through the bark, Has any one tried melting wax candles and pouring it over the ends would that work not tried it, also someone said put it in a bin liner full of sawdust which would slow down the rate of drying.

I don't know what to do for the best result ?

Roly

I would do exactly what you said.  Paint the end grain with house paint and let it dry through the bark.  I'd cover it loosely in a plastic garbage bag (loose enough to get some air), and then stick it in a dry cool place for a year or so.  You might be able to get away with a few months, too.  But I'd test it with a moisture meter before digging in.

Not sure if you're a turner or not, but that would make a beautiful bowl.

I'm back.

About 10+ years ago I cut two 30" dia. 4" thick slabs of spalted maple. I followed advice and guidelines.

LIghtly coated with poly, then strapped around the wood with metal banding. I put them in a unheated

garage  to dry. After two weeks the wood shrank enough that the banding fell off. At about two months,

small cracks began to appear. I drilled 1/4 inch holes through the sides and

glued dowels to try and reduce the splitting. As months passed I drilled more holes. 

After 5 years (no moisture guage) I deemed them dry enough. Wanted to use them for table tops.

Used wood filler for the gaps. Within 6 months, the spalted wood had pulled away from the filler enough

that some filler fell out.

I may mess with it again someday.

Thats my story and why I say you cannot stop it from having splits. Reduce them, YES, stop them, NO!

In the picture, the black lines are fissures or cracks.

Larry

post-5492-0-28357500-1389399882_thumb.jpg

I would do exactly what you said.  Paint the end grain with house paint and let it dry through the bark.  I'd cover it loosely in a plastic garbage bag (loose enough to get some air), and then stick it in a dry cool place for a year or so.  You might be able to get away with a few months, too.  But I'd test it with a moisture meter before digging in.

Not sure if you're a turner or not, but that would make a beautiful bowl.

Thanks Everyone for you input and Travis, I've got some old varnish in a tin with lumps in, I'll coat it with that to save on my wood sealer. It's worth the wait.

Roly

PS I'm a wood turner as well and I'll saver every piece

Edited by Phantom Scroller

I'm back.

About 10+ years ago I cut two 30" dia. 4" thick slabs of spalted maple. I followed advice and guidelines.

LIghtly coated with poly, then strapped around the wood with metal banding. I put them in a unheated

garage  to dry. After two weeks the wood shrank enough that the banding fell off. At about two months,

small cracks began to appear. I drilled 1/4 inch holes through the sides and

glued dowels to try and reduce the splitting. As months passed I drilled more holes. 

After 5 years (no moisture guage) I deemed them dry enough. Wanted to use them for table tops.

Used wood filler for the gaps. Within 6 months, the spalted wood had pulled away from the filler enough

that some filler fell out.

I may mess with it again someday.

Thats my story and why I say you cannot stop it from having splits. Reduce them, YES, stop them, NO!

In the picture, the black lines are fissures or cracks.

Larry

Thanks Larry it's a large bottle of super glue them .lol

Roly

• 2 years later...

Hi Roly, I wondered if you ever moved forward on the spalted beech you were considering a year ago. It is a wood that I am particularly fond of and have used it several times to make my bandsaw boxes.  

I happened to get hold of a second lot of slabs (24" x 12" x 1") the other day, completly dry and ready to use, to add to my store and saw a post about spalted beech for breadboards and the thought of the spalting being a problem. That led me to this posting.

This is what I recently bought post-28865-0-00490700-1453297794_thumb.jpg

Malcolm

Edited by Malcolm161

Hi Roly, I wondered if you ever moved forward on the spalted beech you were considering a year ago. It is a wood that I am particularly fond of and have used it several times to make my bandsaw boxes.  

I happened to get hold of a second lot of slabs (24" x 12" x 1") the other day, completly dry and ready to use, to add to my store and saw a post about spalted beech for breadboards and the thought of the spalting being a problem. That led me to this posting.

This is what I recently bought attachicon.gifSpalted Beech slabs Jan 2016 R.jpg

Malcolm

Mal funny you should say that I forgot about it a year ago, I have various logs drying out in my workshop I'll check them out the weekend they're buried under a load of rubbish in bags.Thanks for reminding me. Roly