Shop Destroyed By Fire 1/16/14

steviegwood

Good morning Steve

Very sad to hear of the fire that destroyed your shop. A fire is a scary thing. The main thing no one was hurt or life lost. Assets can be replaced but not a life. Hopefully you'll receive some relieve from your insurance company. Take care.

Steve i hate to hear of your loss but as many have said at least no one was hurt. I'd hate for my shop to burn as it is a big part of my life as yours was for you, but the bright side is now you can build a bigger and better shop. Trust in the Lord to get you thru the valleys . Someone asked me once why bad things happen to good people I told them because it just does.and when you make it thru the bad times and heartache it makes you stronger. Trying to explain that to my 4 year old granddaughter was not an easy task when i was told i had cancer 4 years ago. Stay strong Steve and the Lord will provide a refuge.

sully

It sounds like you had a wood stove in your shop. Is that the case? I too have one in mine.. I am a little concerned about howhot it can get. I am working a metal divider between my stove and my nearby walls. sorry of your loss. Are you planning on rebuilding it ? I hope so.. good luck..It has to be a tough thing to face..

Dick

heppnerguy

It sounds like you had a wood stove in your shop. Is that the case? I too have one in mine.. I am a little concerned about howhot it can get. I am working a metal divider between my stove and my nearby walls. sorry of your loss. Are you planning on rebuilding it ? I hope so.. good luck..It has to be a tough thing to face..

Dick

heppnerguy

Yes I had a wood stove in the shop as it made sense to me with all of the wood scrap that was created. I also had a total metal building including the studs. Steel flu 35' in the air. I thought that I was safe from fire.

wow  that does sound pretty safe to me. Were you in the shop when it caught fire? My shop is a stick built shop and I have the same idea as you did. I love the way it heats up so easily, I am going to be rethinking my setup, because I sure do not want anything like that to happen to me.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Are you planning on rebuilding it? I hope so, It must be awful to have that happen, Is there anything that I can do to help you?

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, you don't want to build a metal wall because it can draw the heat, the best thing to use is a sheet of Cement board. As it is called Cement board, that is what it is made of and it is what most insurance companies demand that you use. Around here you can't get insurance, unless that is what you use around any wood or pellet stoves. It's not very expensive, and it is easy to install plus if you wanted to, you can fill and paint it.

Len

BTDT Stevie, I lost all of my woodworking tools and supplies a few years back. The insurance company I dealt with, looked after everything without hardly any questions being asked. They replaced everything, no matter how old it was, all I had to do was to supply them with a list of what was lost. They even replaced some items that weren't mine, I had some of my buddies tools stored in my shop and they were lost also. Of course, I had homeowners insurance with the replacement cost waiver, so they replaced everything I listed. Plus, they left the claim open for six months, just in case I remembered some items that weren't on the original list. The lose of the tools and everything else sucked, but, as for the insurance company, it was almost pleasurable. Good luck with getting your tools, shop and supplies replaced, I hope you have a good insurance company.<br />Len

The worst part of all of this is after calculating just part of the wood supply that I have been hoarding and gathering over the past 25 years is that I am drastically under insured. I am about half done with the equipment list and barely have enough insurance to cover that. What happened is that I adde a machine here and a machine there and not once thought about adding more insurance. I had thousands of board ft of wood lining the walls of a 40' shop 9' high and the replacement costs are astonishing. If I had that much cash at one time I would have to carry it in an armored truck, I may have forgot to say that the fire did not get my scroll saws as they are in a room in my home. Luckily I do that part in the house but it got all of my wood and my ways of dimensioning wood. It did get a file cabinet full of patterns though.

Edited by steviegwood

wow  that does sound pretty safe to me. Were you in the shop when it caught fire? My shop is a stick built shop and I have the same idea as you did. I love the way it heats up so easily, I am going to be rethinking my setup, because I sure do not want anything like that to happen to me.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Are you planning on rebuilding it? I hope so, It must be awful to have that happen, Is there anything that I can do to help you?

Dick

heppnerguy

I appreciate your offer of help but I have no idea what anyone could do to help at this point. I come to realize that we are grossly under insured as I really had no idea of the replacement cost of all of the wood and equipment. Adding a little here and a little there over twenty five years I never really thought about all of the value. Now after calculting everything out I am very depressed looking at the numbers. If I had all of the value in cash in hand the wife and I could retire to a remote island somewhere. Being disabled I will never be able to replace it all. I do hope that the insurance company does not give me any trouble and if they don't I do plan to rebuild what I can. If you would like some advice on safety with your set up pm or email me at steve03@frontiernet.net

Dick, you don't want to build a metal wall because it can draw the heat, the best thing to use is a sheet of Cement board. As it is called Cement board, that is what it is made of and it is what most insurance companies demand that you use. Around here you can't get insurance, unless that is what you use around any wood or pellet stoves. It's not very expensive, and it is easy to install plus if you wanted to, you can fill and paint it.

Len

Thank you for your input. I like your idea. i will look into it this weekend.  Never gave cement board a thought.

Dick

heppnerguy