Scroll non-hardware supplies

LarryEA

What's in your shop that is a little unusual that you use in your scroll sawing? Something that would not be found in a hardware store or a scroll saw supply shop? The items I have thought of at this time are: 1) GLAD Press n' Seal - a base for attaching patterns 2) Emery boards, used for filing finger nails, found in pharmacy stores. I use them for de-burring and sanding in small places. So what do you have in your shop?

Edited by LarryEA

Larry,

Intersting question. I will be following this thread and see what jumps out at me. I some times have used food coloring to obtain a colorization on an intarsia piece. You have to admit that isn't something most people will have  in their shop.. I also use a plastic mustard dispensor for my glue applications. I also use waxed paper when I am gluing  something over the  top of a pattern so I can see exactly where a piece needs to be glued, this also in when I an doing intarsia, and my glued items do not stick to the waxed paper so it serves a dual purpaose for me.

There are my first contributions.

Dick

heppnerguy

PS  i would like to hear a little more about your press and seal and how you use it..sounds interesting to me

Dick if you lay down a piece of press and seal on your work and roll it down with a wall paper seam roller then apply your pattern as usual to it it will peel right off when done. I used to do this but have found that loctite brand adhesive works great without the Press and Seal.

sully

i found plastic bottle caps do a clean great job of removing splinters off the back side of wood you drilled..scrape against the grain and they scuff right off.I drill a hole in the cap and slide a bolt thru it and fasten with a washer and nut,simple solution for project you did'nt use a backing board to prevent the splinters in the first place .i hate to waste wood like that so i never back up before drilling ever!the sharp edge of the bottle cap doesn't wear out either.the end result of the bottle cap should resemble a plunger. :)

Rubbing alcohol to remove the oil on the ends of the blades. Eucalyptus oil to remove any sticky residue on wood or scissors. Q tips to help with the removal of any sticky residue. I think thats all. Oh yes, the little plastic things that they put into the middle of pizzas to keep the lid of the food, to use when painting.

Marg

Toothpicks for cleaning up glue squeeze outs. Glue stick for reattaching patterns that come loose. I`ll think of more later.   Dennis

I've had good luck removing glue squeeze with plastic straws, epecially in corners. Squeez it flat, cut on a angle on one end, squeeze it open a scoop up the glue. Cut off 1/2" and do it again. If this isn't clear I can post a pic.