Spraying Frustration

browders

I am needing advice here. One of my weakest points in woodworking is the finishing part. I generally use a spray finish of some type. My problem is that I buy cans of spray urethane or lacquer. I use them and at about the half-way point they clog up. I have tried soaking the spray nozzle in mineral spirits and as often as not they never work again. How do the rest of you apply your finishes. I know there's gotta be a better way.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim, I use the same method as you with spray finishes - both urethane and lacquer. I keep a small jar with a screw lid nearby half filled with celulose thinners  (similar to your mineral spirits) and once I have finished spraying anything I take off the nozzle and leave it sitting in the jar till the next time I need to spray anything. I just remove the nozzle and dry it with a paper towel and fit it onto the can. So far I haven't had a clogged nozzle.  Just my method.

Keith.

Hello Jim,

Like Rob Roy I turn the can upside down and spray till there only comes gas out of it.

The Nozzle is than clean and you can put the can away.

I've never had problems this way.

Once I seem to have forgotten it and the nozzle had clogged up.

I managed to clean the nozzle with a small needle and it worked fine after that.

Richard

Thanks for the advice folks, it's kind of what I figured. I try to do all those things, and I've been successful with my spray adhesive. I just can't seem to make it work for the varnish and lacquer. I have an HVLP sprayer, but it's a lot of setup and take down for a small piece of wood. I was wondering if there was another pneumatic alternative that might work. As you might have figured out, I'm trying to not have to accept the fact that the problem is me.  :cry:

I use Deft spray lacquer and Minwax spray polyurethane. I never clean the nozzles and I have never had a problem with them plugging. Maybe I'm just lucky?

Don R

I use the Minwax spray semi-gloss and I never clean the nozzles.. They just never seem to clog.  I've also used some Deft spray lacquer for a project, and we never had to clean that nozzle either.