Scroll Saw work for profit

oldhudson

I try to walk a mile or two daily, it's my only excercise (except for when I run off at the mouth or jump to a conclusion.) I waited to the heat of the day, -6 but with the wind it felt pretty cold. I only did 3/4 of a mile. When I got back a made a cup of Earl Grey which I'm drinking and eating cookies and thinking.....

I've always treated woodworking as a hobby. But now that I'm into 'retirement' I was wondering how to earn some extra cash. It seemed that a number of the SSV members earn income to some degree or another using their woodworking talents, especially scroll saw work. So if it's not giving away any trade secrets I wondered if you answer a few questions.

1) How did you get started in scrolling for dollars?

2) Do you market your services or is it a word-of-mouth thing? If you really market what tools do you use?

3) How do you charge for your work?

4) What advice would you give someong trying to get started?

So thanks for reading this and taking time to reply.

I hope it's warm where you are and if it's not please be careful if your are out and about. Blood vessels constrict quite a bit in really cold weather and that can increase the chance of stroke or heart attack.

Berry it's no use me answering you on this one, because I sell all mine to work colleagues captive audience for me and my neighbours only.  

I did once think of getting a business account but you even have to pay for that and then there's web sites flyers etc more money. I GAVE UP!

Hope someone over there can help you.

Roly

PS: I don't make anything on them just enough to buy more tools and wood, I'm still in the hobby stage.

Edited by Phantom Scroller

I don't sell my work, personally.  So you can take my advice with a grain of salt.

1) How did you get started in scrolling for dollars?

You probably already have the equipment you need to start.  I don't think you'll need to invest too much.  Maybe for some business cards.

If you want to do craft shows, you might have to invest in a tent, tables, displays, and entry fees.

If you're selling online, I'd use a free website like blogger.com, or Google Sites (there are lots of places that have free website tools).  Promote through Facebook.  If you sell on Etsy or similar services, you'll have listing fees which are cheap (20 cents or so).  You might have to invest in a good camera if you don't already have one.

Word of mouth is probably the easiest.  No investment other than materials.  ;)

2) Do you market your services or is it a word-of-mouth thing? If you really market what tools do you use?

I wouldn't take out any paid ads online or in the paper.  For online, Facebook is your friend.  Create a page and update it often (people LOVE pictures...take lots of pictures).  Use a free blog and update that often.  That way you have a webpage to point people to with your contact info and pictures of your work.

If you post to Etsy, post often and spread out the posts (don't post 30 items at one time.  Instead, post 30 items over a week or two).  That way you're more likely to get organic traffic.

Keep business cards with you with your website, and other contact info.  Maybe even keep a few samples in your trunk to show off to people when they show an interest.  Maybe even carry photos on your smart phone.

I don't think people know or care which tools you have.  I think they really only need to know that it's hand crafted.  You can make a quick demonstration video to show them the scroll saw.  But I doubt they'll care you're working on an Excalibur using a #3 FD Scroll Reverse blade.

3) How do you charge for your work?

I wrote this article awhile back that might help.  Others may have their own methods.

4) What advice would you give someone trying to get started?

Decide how much you want to put into it.  If it's casual, keep it simple.  Don't go overboard buying new equipment, fancy marketing campaigns, and expensive lumber.  It doesn't cost much, so the risk is low.  It probably doesn't take much additional effort either.  And selling your work can become an offshoot of your hobby.  It just adds another dimension to you favorite past time.  If it doesn't work out, so be it.  But I suspect you can earn enough to buy a new tool every once in awhile.

This isn't to say you can't make a living at it.  Some people do.  And if you do, you'll probably stumble into a niche without realizing it until the orders start coming in.

But here's a couple articles on SSV you might enjoy.  Etsy.com also has a bunch of great info for the crafting business.

I sell all that I make.  I started six years ago making toys.  Sold hundreds of them at street fairs and festivals.  I still attend these sales but no longer make and sell toys.  The liability insurance for them was about $850 a year.  That is a lot of toys to make just to pay for that.  Toys do sell very well and some I can make four per hour and sell at $5 each.  Could not sell them that fast though.  I now make cedar boxes with inlaid images in the hinged lids. I also sell my few intarsia projects.  I do not do fretwork at all.  I have been doing this steady for over six years now and am finally getting word of mouth sales. Quite a lot actually.  I am just now trying to get on line retailers to buy from me to resell.  I think that trying to sell my things on line is tough to do.  Works much better when the buyer can see and touch them in person so I am not sure how well this will work.

My tip to someone starting at this is:  Find out , though trial and error, what folks will buy and then work at mass producing them so that you can keep the price in the $20-$30 range. In my case my boxes sell well.  Festivals are a great place to sell your wares and if you want to sell items much over $30 get a way to accept credit cards at the point of sale.   Selling in consignment stores did not work for me.

It's hard to decide what to make for sale. You have to Mass produce what ever you want to sell. I have been doing it off and on for  the past 30 years .I use to sell toys, but there is a libel problem with selling toys; I even sold lighted wine bottles for about 4 years along with scroll saw products flooded my market and so I quit that line They cost about $4.50 to make and sold for $15.00. last year I sold scrolled sawed dog items.That was ok but not as profitable Just pick an item and try it, but don't expect to get rich doing it. I do mostly Craft sales Don't get discouraged  some times you make good and other times you don't. My wife goes with me and sells tote bags. We don't make much but have a good time at it, and that is the main thing

I agree with Jim that toys are a hot item but at what cost, with the insurance? Some folks have luck with portraits but I have very little luck. I want to take a few other's advice and try some festivals that are more inclined to art. Not sure if I can get in those. If you have some unique items, Etsy may be your best bet to test the water. They are cheap, so if you don't sell, you are not out much. Local craft shows can also be a fairly cheap route to go if you have a variety of items with some in the $2 to $5 range so you can pay for the booth. 

Berry my wife and i do craft shows and flea markets and festivals and all we can hope for is a little profit. It's not so much about the money but more cause we have fun. My best advice cause i've been there " don't make it a job" you will lose your love of Gods gift to scroll. Keep it fun if you are going to try to make money at it. Production work sucks.Deadlines suck, Schedules suck. But scrollin is big time fun when you can sell some. In other words i'm no help to ya hehehehehehehe

sully

Edited by sullyscroller

Sully,

You are so right again. I found that making things just for possible sales took the fun out of scrolling and after that I not longer have been interested in doing something like that. I do sell through Facebook but it is only to hlep my pay for my materials and what ever additional tools I might want to venture into. I have done fairly well with that and really enjoy the feed back I get. I tried Itsy once nad a couple of days later, I couldn't even fine my own things there, so If I couldn't find them, how am I going to expect someone else to? if you find something that the public really likes and consistantly sell well, I would tend to stick with that for the most part. I saw a girl with an intarsia booth and she just sold dogs. A lot of people have and love dogs. or maybe western things for rodeo people.. that sort of thing. Jim has the right idea, where he has found a great item that appeals to many and they are easy for him to make because he makes them a lot. As far as doing it for a living, I would say, dont waste your time. that is just my oppinion and even I question that a lot.

Dick

heppnerguy

I had also thought about selling my stuff but I already have a job and didn't think another would be a good idea. As for now I give my work away. Friends know if they come across wood in their travels to scoop it up for me just to help keep my costs down. Like it was mentioned earlier by some of the guys I was afraid it would take the fun out of scrolling and I certainly do enjoy my garage time. Take care and good luck with whatever you decide.

Hi Berry

For myself I enjoy wood working as a hobby and would never let it become a job. I have never gone into shows or tried selling online. I have sold a lot of my work but it's all been by word of mouth. The most popular item I've sold is the praying hands (sample is in my library) done in light or dark oak. Most people like this item because a family member has passed on. Most have been sold with photo frame for $85.00. They now sell for $125.00.

Another item that has sold well is the tri photo frame (sampled in library) for $150.00. Relegus items seem to be popular such as crosses.

I charge according to the amount of time put into each project. I'm not super fast in producing but I do care it's done and finished the best I know how.

My suggestion is do what you enjoy making the most. You will then do well at what ever you make and others will see the pride and workmanship you've put into your projects. They should then sell themselves. Wish you all the best.

I sell almost everything I make, give some away as gifts. This by no means is a full source of income for me(already have a full time job). What I sell supports my hobby, IE. buying tools, lumber, supplies, patterns.

It started with people(friends and family mainly) seeing my work and wanting one. It just spread from there. Word of mouth is the best advertisement. I don't do shows only sell by word of mouth, but have several repeat customers.

I do have an online album and now facebook page dedicated to my crafts.

I charge by the minute,( just how I keep track when working on something) friends tell me its to cheap but it supports my addiction :razz:. plus I add in wood cost and supplies. No matter what you charge it will be to much for some people.

If you want to start selling get your name out there, give a few things away. Start the word of mouth.

I do make money from my woodworking but it is still a hobby, If I don't feel like working in my shop I don't. When someone places an order I give them a time frame where I don't have to rush to get it done and can work on it when I want. If they don't like it I don't make it or charge them more. I let them know this a my hobby not my job. Most of my "customers" are co workers and friends, the rest have been sent to me by them.

I don't make many toys I mostly make and sell intarsia, scrollings and pens(and other turnings)

Like many of you, I give a lot away. When I do sell, I have an odd pricing system.

First by the number of holes I drilled, but that is an estimate since I do not count

or I forgot, so I estimate. I charge 50 cents per hole.

Second is a combination of the type of wood, was it stack cut, did I have to frame it 

and how much I like it.

Not much of a system but it is simple for me.

As you may have guessed, my prices fluxuate a little.

Larry

Hang stuff in your car windows with cards on the outside .this is a roving billboard for chance customers all the places you go !

What a clever idea Kevin, of course where I live they may have to scrap snow or ice off the windows before anything I hang in them will be visible, at least 3 months of the year.