scroll saw blades are not long enough

tundrakid

Hello everyone,

I have a problem, the blades do not seem long enough to connect to both ends. I have tried to push the top arm down and it does not move, nor does the bottom one. I have the tension released (of course) but the blades are not long enough to meet up where they should. Now after having said that, I am still able to get some blades to work, I can not figure this out and can use any help from anyone. :)

The machine I have is the Excabibur 30, I am using both flat and spiral blades, problem occurs on either.

Here is a question for anyone~~does anyone make a slightly longer blade???? :?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Maggie Nell

Most scroll saws use a standard 5 inch blade and that size should fit your saw with no problem.  Check the distance between the table and the bottom of the top arm at the back of the table and again near the blade.  This dimension should be the same at both locations.  If the dimension is greater near the blade then turn the black knob at the back of the upper arm until these dimensions are approximately the same.  Once the are the same the blade should fit with no problem.  Some people use the knob at the back to increase tension and forget to back it off when they re-clamp the blade.  This results in the upper arm getting further and further away from the table near the blade and eventually the blade is no longer long enough.

Hi Maggie and welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with the Excalibur clamps so I can't answer that question. But as far as I know, there are 3" and 5" blades. I suspect you have no 3" blades, so my guess is there may be an issue with the way you are installing them or with the machine itself. Someone will chime in soon enough and be of more help.

Hi Maggie

On the very back of the top arm is your tension knob. Turn counter clockwise to lower the top arm

and clockwise to increase the height. Using a small square measure distance between the table and top blade clamp and adjust the distance by turning the tension knob so you have approximately 2 1/2". Chances are the top arm is set too high. If you have the new Ex the max. height is 3". Hopefully this solves your problem.

Being I am unfamiliar with your saw; I have to think the advice above is correct!

Welcome to the crowd!  Sanity not necessary-- may even be a liability when it comes to uniqe design!

Enjoy the sawdust making and if something ACTUALLY turns out nice; EVEN BETTER!