blades for a beginner

devsdad98

Hay guys,

I'm new to this and have a blade question. Some of my local stores (Parkersburg WV) sell blades that have the usual numbers on them (2,5,7,etc.). But some of them are only listed as teeth per inch. Is there a conversion chart or a general rule of thumb to know what size they are? Thanks in advance.

Mark :?

Hi Mark:

I'm fairly new to this myself. Here's a couple of suggestions that might help and save you a few bucks. When I started scrollen again I went a bit overboard on buying blades. I have over 17 different size blades. I won't use half of them.

I have a link here for the Olson blade chart. Along with Mike's site, make a determination on what type of scroll work you want to start with along with the material you will be using. Purchase a couple of size blades that are suggested for the type of scroll work your interested in. Try them out and go from there.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-75732684376772/Scroll-chart.pdf

The other thing I do is keep a data sheet on the blades I use. If you have a program like "Excel" make up a simple spread sheet to record your data. I have a lousy memory so this helps when the time comes to order blades. This will give you a idea of what blades work (best performance) based on the the type of scrollen and the material used. I make basic notations (see chart) and rate the performance of the blades from 1-10 (ten the highest). Just remember that the blade performance will vary deping on the type work your doing as well as the material. Hope this helps.

[attachment=0]chart web.png[/attachment]

Mark

Give Mike , a call he will definetly tell you honestly what blade you will need for the type of scrolling and the material you will be useing .

I would suggest you try differnt blades because all people are different some like Olson I hate them personally . Vermont blades won't waste my money .

Flying Dutchman I keep a supply of them on hand in differnt sizes and types

Good luck and Happy scrolling If you have any question please don't hesitate to ask

Mark

I would suggest you try differnt blades because all people are different some like Olson I hate them personally . Vermont blades won't waste my money .

Flying Dutchman I keep a supply of them on hand in differnt sizes and types

Good luck and Happy scrolling If you have any question please don't hesitate to ask

I agree, I am partial to flying dutchman aswell, vermont american i do not like at all, and i like olsons PGT but mainly use fd's.

Ben