First project from Big Yellow

Fay Prozora

And the fret work wood pecker that Mr. Fox had started and big Yellow finished cutting. I was amazed at how much easier it was to get around some of those tight turns on the saw. The first project is the Scroll Man and the second is the wood pecker fret work. both are Steve Good's patterns. They are not quite finished as yet, but will be soon. I have yet to decide on a background for the wood pecker. These are not very good pictures. I need to find the charger for my camera and take better pictures. Enjoy   Fay

post-16818-0-06377800-1392676301_thumb.jpg

post-16818-0-57733700-1392676356_thumb.jpg

Fabulous Fay What a start looks like you've done this before, I have to agree with you I had Delta saws for many years and got my first Yellow submarine I love it the difference it makes in cutting is indescribable. Well you have fun with it and I'm looking forward to the next pictures. Thanks for sharing with the group.

.../Hans 

Good for you Fay,

Glad to see your enthusiasm with your new saw. Here is a tip for you. If you don't already do this, get yourself a piece of scrap 2X4 about 8 to 10 inches long and as you are changing the blade from one hole to the next one to cut, slide the board under the arm of the saw. This will free both hands to do your work. Once you try it, you will find that it saves you a lot of frustration that you may not have even realized you were going through. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. So much for TV for awhile

Dick

heppnerguy

For what Dick suggests; I just use a crap of hardwood --grooved to fit and it works well. Mine is a hickory flooring scrap.
I do like both projects--neat--good work!
I also use a clamp to hold the blade almost in positron while I do the adjusting to the blade clamps. I actually use my thumb and pull down the upper arm
slightly as I tighten the clamps.  A cheap long nosed plastic thing.  Works great. I had been using a needle nose plier-- this frees both hands. .

The background for the woodpecker should be a thin slice of tree. Preferably; if you can manage it a thin slice of bark and the squiggle the edges. Rough dark bark will add effect.

Edited by rjR

Thank you every one. I did find a nice piece of wood to hold the arm up while feeding the blade in the fret work and I can't get over how much easier it is to do that on this saw. The Fox was a bit hard to do as I had to take out both blade clamps and then take off the top clamp and put the blade in the hole and replace the clamp and then tilt the table to get the lower clamp back on and then the top one and then adjust the tension ....Aw shucks that was a bit too much work. So this saw will be a great saw and I like the ease of blade changing as well. Have a great day   Fay

Love of saw ,that's a personal thing,this is my third 788..All i ever had was cheapys but enjoyed every second of scrolling on them for years .there are two ways to hold the 788 arm up while you reinsert the blade available commercially .they are both on top of ssv's home page randomly exposed.Well worth the money to get one ,plus the foot on off switch.every move you can save your self scrolling make for a happy scroller..Love to hear your romance storys of the 788!!! :) :) :)

im getting my new saw by friday so i know how you are feeling :) but wont really be able to use it until the shop is ready... but i hope to be able to do as beautiful as work as you have done with your new saw with mine...so excited.. i tried to find scrollerman but there are soooooooooo many to sort through...do you happen to remember the catagorie it was under?

tks

Darcy