Using Pin-End Blades

c_lang

I found that using the thicker Pin-End Blades work really well in thick or hard wood. What I do is take my rotary tool and a cutting wheel and cut off the pins which will allow for entry into tight holes. I actually use the same size drill bit for both pin-end and plain-end blade entry holes. The thicker pin-end blades allow me to cut thicker wood as well as hardwoods. The blades last longer.

Also, another thing I do with the thicker pin-end blades is I made a jig to round the blades which allow me to make tighter radius turns. I found through one of my magazines I get had an article on how to make tighter turns with thicker blades. It really works. I really like cutting oak and thicker woods, they are more stable and less tearout, and was going through a lot of blades for each project. So when I came across this article I was thankful after making the jig and trying it and it worked. I'm not going to post the article here, don't know if I can anyways. But I did post my version of the article in my blog on my "MySpace" page. Just thought they may be some "scrollers" out there that were in the same situation as I. Hope this and the earlier post helps.

I have also removed the pins by holding them with a pliers, rotating them back and forth a few times to loosen then they just pull off then I cut them to 5 "long with a diagonal cutting pliers as the pin end blades then to be a bit longer than plain end ones