My first end grain cutting board

Luperez548

This is my first attempt with this technique, made from recycled wood, it is 18" x 10 1/2" x 1 1/4", came out from cedar, mahogany, red oak, and 2 different types of pine wood. After 3 days working on it due to clamp process for gluing, I got this done today, now I am sealing it with me real oil. Next time I would spend some more time aligning it, but looks fine to me for a very first tray, what do you think? I am attaching few pictures of the process steps.

post-14452-0-29749700-1393525955_thumb.jpg

post-14452-0-00460200-1393525987_thumb.jpg

post-14452-0-81216500-1393526019_thumb.jpg

post-14452-0-23758600-1393526079_thumb.jpg

post-14452-0-71814100-1393526103_thumb.jpg

post-14452-0-01448700-1393526130_thumb.jpg

Very nice.

I really like routed upper edge.

I have done quite a few cutting boards and never used soft woods like pine and cedar.  

Did you use CBdesinger or did you make the pattern up on you own,

Don

thanks Don for your couching, it very interesting learning from experts this is my very first one, I noticed when planning the border, Cedar is fragile, pine used has lot of resin and I had no problem with it. Thanks again, if you have any other tip, please, let me know about, will be very appreciated.

Super looking project,hope it did'nt go thru the planer!These multi wood project are fine as wine.What glues did you use. i'm looking for a slow setting glue hopefully water base for a project coming up.I've aquired lots of hard woods lately and in thin strips perfect for similar projects like this. i want to see what i can come up with differant. :)

Very nice.

I really like routed upper edge.

I have done quite a few cutting boards and never used soft woods like pine and cedar.  

Did you use CBdesinger or did you make the pattern up on you own,

Don

I forgot to mention the design was done by myself. Could you please let me know more details about that software?

I forgot to mention the design was done by myself. Could you please let me know more details about that software?

I made my first ones based on the Woodwhisper video found here.  Just 2 colours but makes up nicely.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/how-to-make-a-butcher-block-cutting-board/

If you look at the quick looks on the left see CBdesigner software.  It is a free program.  I run on my vista machine as you have to install a ocx file.  I can;t seem to work on Windows 8.  http://www.lastalias.com/cbdesigner/

Don

PS:  At the current time I am coordinating a group buy at our club of the material to build the end grain cutting board.  So far we have 79 boards in maple/walnut, maple/cherry and maple/purple heart combinations.  Will post my boards that I am doing for the demo in a couple of weeks.

Super looking project,hope it did'nt go thru the planer!These multi wood project are fine as wine.What glues did you use. i'm looking for a slow setting glue hopefully water base for a project coming up.I've aquired lots of hard woods lately and in thin strips perfect for similar projects like this. i want to see what i can come up with differant. :)

hi Kevin, thanks for your comments, I worked with the waterproof Titebond II glue, I hope that's the right one.

Very, very nice.

I have a couple questions.

Why use the end grain for the cutting boards?

Are all four sides routed?

Thank you for sharing and thank you for an anticipated reply to help me learn or to help satisfy my curiosity.

God Bless! Spirithorse

I suggest you watch the video in my post above for the answer on why end grain.  With the end grain it is easier on knives and it heals itself.

Routing - I use a 1/8 round over on the all the sides of the bottom and 1/4 inch roundover on the 4 sides of top. The router won't round over all the handles so I round over with sandpaper.

The profile used by Luis on the original post is really cool and I and going to give that a try on next board I do. 

Very, very nice.

I have a couple questions.

Why use the end grain for the cutting boards?

Are all four sides routed?

Thank you for sharing and thank you for an anticipated reply to help me learn or to help satisfy my curiosity.

God Bless! Spirithorse

hi folk, just looking at your query, Don is very experienced in this technique, I do believe he said all in his quote, thanks again Don, keep this Village updated in end grain technique, I like it a lot.