interesting to me

heppnerguy

Dick, I had a go at this. Learned a little along the way. It came out pretty nice and if I make a jig, I can probably make a dozen at a time. This prototype is walnut. The last picture is the one where the cards are displayed, I made it wide enough to handle 15 cards and the finished box is only 1/2" thick.

Thanks for looking.

Wow.  I am amazed with disbelief. You did a fabulous job. Your skills are amazing. I don't think I have the guts to try this one. I am so glad that I posted it because you proved. "if it is made of wood, you can make it'   It is a great box, if you do ever decide to make a jig for this item, I hope you post it because i would love to make these myself. I think I would want to do inlay in them too. Wonderful job. I was not sure if anyone would even be interested,but they intrigued the heck out of me.

Thanks for the great work and for sharing it 

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks a lot, with give it a tried, I'm also looking after a simpler model; without any articulated piece, just a plain card holder with opening on both side to remove the card easily, does any one have an idea about this. 

Not sure just what you are looking for, if you were to post a picture in the pattern requests maybe someone could design a pattern for you.

@ Dan, wow nice work on that card holder, came out great.

Russell

Thanks Russell and Dick. I've got 4 of them now. They take no time at all to cut, it's all the gluing and sanding that take time. I did make a jig for drilling the hole for the hinge, but the rest of it is just cutting the wood to dimension. 

Thanks Russell and Dick. I've got 4 of them now. They take no time at all to cut, it's all the gluing and sanding that take time. I did make a jig for drilling the hole for the hinge, but the rest of it is just cutting the wood to dimension. 

Dan,

The last thing I looked at last night was your success with the card holder and I thought about the Jig you mentioned, not really having a clue about where you thought a jig would speed things up and I also concluded that drilling the hole would be most difficult part because it can not be off even one degree and I went to sleep thinking about how to make the jig. Funny how minds work, ( mine usually not too well ). Dan, what other kinds of wood to you think might be strong enough when cut as thin as is needed here ? Maple, maybe ?  I am not very versed on types of wood myself.  For an old guy, I really do not know a lot.

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks a lot, with give it a tried, I'm also looking after a simpler model; without any articulated piece, just a plain card holder with opening on both side to remove the card easily, does any one have an idea about this. 

Something like this one. http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/image/2035-card-holder/

It's a pattern I modified from this pattern http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/?page_id=91

Roly