Blade selection

I certainly see that I have a lot to learn about blade selection for my particular machine. When I bought my Porter Cable saw, there were a couple extra blades that come with it, but I know, once I get started, there will be blade breakage. Most of my immediate practice work will be on scraps of plywood I have laying around, so, I guess, my question  is: What type of blade is best for the beginner, or is there one, and when one does order blades, is it imperative the blades fit my particular model, or are all blades universal ? I do understand the concept between a pin end and pinless blade. Pardon the ignorance !

In General Scroll Sawing, page down to Feb 28 (I think) to a post titled " Blades for a New Scroll sawyer." 

In that post it tells you blades and where to order from.

If ya got the $$$ order a selection of blades as soon as you decide which blades you decide on.

Don't get pinned blades unless thats all your saw will take.

All 5 inch blades will fit your saw.

Go online and look at a picture of pinned blades and non-pinned.

Larry

Here's the thread Larry was talking about:  http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/9087-blades-for-a-new-scroller/

Stay away from pinned blades.  That's mostly for construction work and not very good for hobby work.

All the blades are pretty universal:  5" long.

I wouldn't bother buying blades from a big box store.  They're not very good and way overpriced.  The big 3 blade companies are Flying Dutcmah, Olson, and Pegas.

I recommend Flying Dutchman.  You can buy these blades here:  http://mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

The smaller the blade number, the harder it is to control, but the tighter turns you can get.

I like the #3 Scroll reverse.  This is my go to blade.  I cut 1/4" ply and sometimes 3/4" stock.

#5 scroll reverse is good for 3/4" stock

#9 is good to have on hand for large stock.

If I was you, I'd learn with flat blades.  After you're comfortable with flat blades, it's fun to try spiral.  Spirals are tricky to get a straight line and have a tendency to follow the grain.  However, I really like them for portrait work that has a lot of organic lines.  For that, I use #3 scroll reverse spiral.

I'd recommend buying a variety pack from Mike's Workshop.  Try out a few blades, you'll quickly find one that fits you just right.  You can find that here:  http://mikesworkshop.com/AssrtPk.htm

Feel free to ask questions.  There's a good lot of folks here with great advice.  Have fun!  :thumbs:

In General Scroll Sawing, page down to Feb 28 (I think) to a post titled " Blades for a New Scroll sawyer." 

In that post it tells you blades and where to order from.

If ya got the $$$ order a selection of blades as soon as you decide which blades you decide on.

Don't get pinned blades unless thats all your saw will take.

All 5 inch blades will fit your saw.

Go online and look at a picture of pinned blades and non-pinned.

Larry

Larry, being new to scrolling, I have a question for you. You said don't get pinned blades unless that's all your saw will take. Mine takes both apparently, but it requires the use of a tool to change out plain end blades. What advantage do non-pinned blades provide other than requiring a smaller entry hole for inside cuts?

I would also recommend Mikes Workshop. I buy all my blades from Mike. Great service and fast. As far as type of blade that's a hard one. Some people like spirals and some like flat. When I'm cutting fretwork I pretty much only use the new FD 3/0 spirals. Very easy to control and they last pretty good. If I'm cutting 3/4" hardwood then I use a skip tooth flat blade. Tell us what you want to cut and we can hopefully give better advice. Welcome to The Village.