what kind of spray adhesive does everybody use

Dennis Key

I use whatever I find at the store, which is usually 3m.

The trick is to only spray the pattern.  Let rest for a 30 seconds or so until it becomes tacky like a Postit Note.  Then put on the wood.  That makes it easier to come off.  Then I usually use mineral spirits to remove it.  Brush it on until the paper turns translucent like waxed paper, and the pattern practically falls off.

I have always used the blue painter tape and a glue stick. Works really well for me because i don't like the sticky substance left by the spray, However, I did purchase a can of CRC spray glue sold by Harbor Freight, just to give it a try. I was familiar with CRC and knew it to be a good company of products. It worked really well for me. At first I sprayed both the tape and the pattern, let it set for a few seconds and it stayed on very well, even on the blue tape. Later I tried a light spray just on the pattern and placed it directly on the wood's surface, It kept the pattern in place and did not peel up when I cut small fret work. I also found that the pattern removed from my wood without having to use any mineral spirits. I did not detect any surface tackiness when I peeled my pattern off. Not sure if i was just lucky or if this product just works that well, so far, so good. It comes in a very large can and sells for a little over $10. 

Dick

heppnerguy

3M #77 ..... if the pattern hasn't been on too lng it peels right off ... can take it off with mineral spirits also or microwave for about 20 seconds and it peels off

I had a piece of wood that had a pattern on it for a long amount of time it was partially finished so I finished it.. and the pattern stuck  I didn't have any mineral spirits so I tried the microwave trick (my wife thought I was crazy lol) it worked perfect  thanks for the tip  I'm well pleased :lol:

I usually use the spray, but here in Belgium, it cost 15€ for a can, CRAZY, Now I use the white tape and ordinary standard wood glue, which I spread on the tape, and put the pattern on, then I use a pastry roll, on which I glued a soft rubber. Just roll on the pattern to remove all the air underneath, and leave it over night. This technic need to be done a day before. It's the lowest cost and I'm very happy with it. Just started to use it last Saturday, I was running out of the spray and wanted to scroll on Sunday. Will keep this technic. With 1 kg of white wood glue will go for years.

With the spray, sometimes , the pattern lift up while cutting, with the wood glue and the pastry roll, this never happen.

2014-03-21-1886.jpg

Edited by Jean-Marc