Roses & Castles

Nick@tinkers-cove

Hi everyone - hope you're all keeping well.

Busy as usual...don't know if anyone remembers me mentioning that I was working on a new idea a month or so ago?

Well I've just completed my first two pieces and have patterns for another three ready.

Here in the UK, we have an amazing canal network dating back hundreds of years. When our children are older, we will be buying a narrowboat, and travelling the network and selling my work.

The traditional folk art associated with the working narrowboats is known as 'Roses & Castles'. This art is generally painted in oils, and sadly seems to be dying out as the years pass. (Examples can be seen here: http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Miscellaneous/decorations.htm )

I have developed a style of my own which I hope will be consistant with the traditional form. I have decided that segmentation is the way forward for me, and used the same oils to paint. I still need to practice some of the border techniques, which is why they're not added to my work as yet.

Thanks for listening, and I'll post more when possible.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

post-5837-0-71866600-1395312304_thumb.jpg

post-5837-0-22096900-1395312321_thumb.jpg

post-5837-0-55552300-1395312340_thumb.jpg

post-5837-0-14723800-1395312357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick@tinkers-cove

Hi everyone - hope you're all keeping well.

Busy as usual...don't know if anyone remembers me mentioning that I was working on a new idea a month or so ago?

Well I've just completed my first two pieces and have patterns for another three ready.

Here in the UK, we have an amazing canal network dating back hundreds of years. When our children are older, we will be buying a narrowboat, and travelling the network and selling my work.

The traditional folk art associated with the working narrowboats is known as 'Roses & Castles'. This art is generally painted in oils, and sadly seems to be dying out as the years pass. (Examples can be seen here: http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Miscellaneous/decorations.htm )

I have developed a style of my own which I hope will be consistant with the traditional form. I have decided that segmentation is the way forward for me, and used the same oils to paint. I still need to practice some of the border techniques, which is why they're not added to my work as yet.

Thanks for listening, and I'll post more when possible.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

attachicon.gifCastle 01 (End1)SSV.JPG

attachicon.gifCastle 01 (End2)SSV.JPG

attachicon.gifRose Cluster 01 (End1)SSV.JPG

attachicon.gifRose Cluster 01 (End2)SSV.JPG

Absolutely beautiful Nick. Reminds me of when we lived in Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire. Every Sunday we took a long walk  along the tow path on the GRAND UNION CANAL, watching the narrow boats going through the locks. Incidentally I may have seen a picture of your Dad when I had a look at the steam railway, nice little films too. Keep up the nice work Nick.

Rob Roy.

Oh Nick, they are BEAUTIFUL, really really beautiful.  Don't know what I admire more your work or the fact that you intend to buy a narrow boat and traveling the canals.  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: I was going to say keep up the great work but thats silly because I know you will. ;)

Marg

Thanks Everyone - It's great to get the experienced opinions of our talented villagers. As mentioned, I have 3 other patterns ready to go but need to move things around a little in the work area (Looks like the EX-30 may be making an appearance in the next few weeks) and I have the Craft Fairs coming up. I'll keep you informed and updated. Thanks again.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

Absolutely beautiful Nick. Reminds me of when we lived in Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire. Every Sunday we took a long walk  along the tow path on the GRAND UNION CANAL, watching the narrow boats going through the locks. Incidentally I may have seen a picture of your Dad when I had a look at the steam railway, nice little films too. Keep up the nice work Nick.

Rob Roy.

Thanks Roy. The Grand Union is a stunning stretch. We're over the eastern coast end of the Leeds & Liverpool canal and I used to spend my school summer holidays helping our local lock keeper at Thorne, (near Doncaster)

You're right - you probably have seen him - he is in some of the photo's and a few interviews and video clips on YouTube.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

Thanks Roy. The Grand Union is a stunning stretch. We're over the eastern coast end of the Leeds & Liverpool canal and I used to spend my school summer holidays helping our local lock keeper at Thorne, (near Doncaster)

You're right - you probably have seen him - he is in some of the photo's and a few interviews and video clips on YouTube.

Kindest Regards,

Nick.

Yes, Nick, the Grand Union is indeed a great piece of navigation. I don't know if this will interest you as it's not a narrow boat but this is where I spent my school summer holidays.  A relation of my father's was chief engineer on the boat. Oh what wonderful days they were, and she's still going strong. They used her as a Mine Sweeper in the Clyde during the war. Have a look at  WWW.waverleyexcursions.co.uk and see why it was so enjoyable. I think your dad would like it too she still runs steam, all be it an oil fired boiler.  Bit easier than shovelling COAL. :cool:  :cool:

Yes, Nick, the Grand Union is indeed a great piece of navigation. I don't know if this will interest you as it's not a narrow boat but this is where I spent my school summer holidays. A relation of my father's was chief engineer on the boat. Oh what wonderful days they were, and she's still going strong. They used her as a Mine Sweeper in the Clyde during the war. Have a look at WWW.waverleyexcursions.co.uk and see why it was so enjoyable. I think your dad would like it too she still runs steam, all be it an oil fired boiler. Bit easier than shovelling COAL. :cool::cool:

Yeah...it looks great Roy - very relaxing, and stunning scenery. Funny what you carry with you from your schooldays eh?

Regards,

Nick.