Organize Blades

jholland

I am fairly new to scrolling so I am looking for some ideas on how to keep my various blades organized so that I will know the TPI count of each blade, the type of blade, etc. when I'm constantly taking them in and out of the saw for various projects. With so many different types of blades, what do you do to keep them organized?

I am fairly new to scrolling so I am looking for some ideas on how to keep my various blades organized so that I will know the TPI count of each blade, the type of blade, etc. when I'm constantly taking them in and out of the saw for various projects. With so many different types of blades, what do you do to keep them organized?

Go back in the threads there are many shown ,all kinds and pick your preference ,for you layout !

I use Flying Dutchman blades, they come in a small plastic bag with the label inside of the bag also. I keep the blades in the plastic bags, so that they don't get a chance to rust. I have about twenty different types of blades, and I keep them in a steel box that previously held drill bits. When I'm about ready to cut something, I take the plastic bag out of the steel container and set in on a large magnet that I have fastened to the base. By doing it this way, I always have the blades that I'm using right at my right hand. I do have about thirty of the clear tubes that were made to store blades in, and I use some of them for storing non Flying Dutchman blades. They work well, but you have to be able to remember what type of blade they have in them. Most of these blades are from when I first started scrolling, long before I came a crossed FD blades. Once I tried them I was hooked, and have hardly touched those other  blades since.

Len

Over the years I have changed so many things ,modifying as my needs and experience changed ,two of my oldest reciprocatings friends are  Trial & Error ,keep me going as my needs and wants changed ,finding what works best for me at the time ,I am sure that applies to most ,about a lot of things ,situations change location and use dictate what works today ,may not be the same (monyona) . The K.I.S.S. principal seems to work best ,till your sure of exactly what you really need !

I got these little tubes for $5.95 a dozen at Sloans, a magnetic strip stuck to the side of the 2 x 4 holds lightly used blades. Mike's FD blades come with labels that fit nicely inside of the tubes.

Pete

Scroll down to the bottom of this page.

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/scroll_saw_blades.htm

Mikes blades.

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

post-2119-0-14303600-1395596932_thumb.jpg

Edited by jrpeteo

I saw this somewhere, could have been here in The Village,, but someone bought mini M&M's candies that come in a tube with a re-closable lid. The blades fit well into each tube. hint  You can take the label that comes with the blades and cellophane tape in on the tube. Presto.. the tubes are free....you get to eat the candy....you have an excuse to buy the candy....the labeling is easy...the tubes have a cap to protect the blade..(personally I have never had a blade rust for me )..and they are all organized.

Dick

heppnerguy