So many stains

Dennis Key

I don't like the stain and poly blends. when it tries to be both they don't do either all that well. As an over all statement, I don't really like gel stain either. (It has some awesome applications, but staining scroll work isn't one of them in my mind.)

MinWax in "early american" or "golden oak" is my most used stain. It gives a nice brown wood color to almost everything. I think that some of the darker stains look fake and funky on many woods (especially baltic birch ply which is most of my projects) There are several stains that give a funky red/orange color that looks un-natural. 

A lot of the time I just lacquer or poly a project and call it done, or oil then lacquer. It really depends on the project as to what type of finish I use. 

My most used top coat is RustOleum 2x clear. It really does seam to go twice as far, and is cheaper then some of the other options. it works over all sorts of stuff; oil, paint, glitter, stain. 

What a messy subject! I found a short cut to the mess and covers everything in one shot if i stain.I have or make a tray with thick aluminum foil .I fold up the edges close to or touching the project that is flat. I. I then pour in the stain and cover everything with it. Then I slide the tray over the side of the bench, poke a hole in the bottom corner and let it drain back in the can it came from.Brushing it on takes away from my quality time .All that's left to do is wipe the top clean and set on newspaper to suck up the excess from inside cuts and the bottom of the project. Don't let it stay on the paper too long as it may stick to the project permanently.The results are better than spraying it on as the stain is uniform everywhere. :)

interesting  variety of ideas here,  I hope to be able to find this at a later date when I need it all..I think I should buy myself a notebook and write the ideas I like in it, then I could find it when I wanted to.

I continually read new ideas here and I continually forget where I saw them..I can;t imagine what it will be like when I finally get old  :lol:

Dick

heppnerguy