Picture frame

Fish

I do both with and without and buy most of my frames for a store out in the Forest of Dean Gloucestershire for a couple of £3-5 each depending on the look and if they don't fit after taking out the glass I make my own and now I have loads of sheets of  8 x 12 glass sheets in the workshop. oops.  Roly

• 1 year later...

I ran across a aid to this problem ,I talked to a friend at hobby lobby ,and those clear cylinders they display their artifical flowers in are mylar ,I had her ask her if I could buy some new ones .I think they said .25 ea. I 30 of them I replace the glass with pc,won't shatter when dropped and very thin and savers space Holds up well ! I thought I'd pass it along fo the glass users!Carl

I too make my own frames. This way I can control the look of the finished project and by making the frame to fit the portrait, I don't have to worry about sizing the portrait to fit the frame.

I prefer simplicity over a fancy frame, just enough to set the portrait off.

Here is a Charles Dearing pattern done on 1/8" oak plywood with a stained Baltic birch backer, framed in a 5/8" thick Mahogany frame with no glass. The frame is built around the portrait, all glued together so the frame is not removable and does not require any reinforcements at the corners.post-23695-0-95298100-1432441243_thumb.jpg