Buying someone out

I'm posting this in a couple of groups I belong to so just posting a comment on one will work, just doing it to get all the comments I can: I am thinking about buying a woodworkers patterns that he has made and ones he bought as he's getting out of scrollsawing and going into other forms of woodworking. My question is this: would this be considered a copyright issue on the ones he bought as I will be making some of the patterns myself. I'm just curious as I do some woodworking as a business (that is when I'm not making something and end up giving it away as a gift). I know what the copyright laws are but I also know that people buy people out a lot also. Thanks!

That's dicey. Raise the price on his patterns and give you the ones he bought.

To me each individual purchased pattern comes with its own standards to the law depending on the restrictions imposed by the designer. As an example: One site states:

All patterns are fully covered by US Copyright Laws and are intended for end use by hobbyists and craftsmen only, and may not be distributed, made available, published or sold for any commercial purpose as patterns, or designs.  

IM don't know opinion. Take the patterns, don't sell what you make from them.

Thanks for the input... I've decided to go ahead and buy him out of all his scrollsaw stuff (patterns, tools, and other things). This being said, I'm only going to keep the original patterns and trash the copies.. This person is an oldtimer and isn't making money off of this I promise with what he told me he wanted and he's not advertising this either, he's a family friend that I think is slowly getting out of the woodworking business all together and told me he would sale them after visiting but also wanted to make sure I and he wouldn't get in trouble. I told him that with the price I'm buying the tools and he's giving me the patterns, books, mags and so on. I will take each pattern on an individual basis, if I am not 100% about the usage I'll contact either the designer or publisher or both depending on the pattern itself. I know a lot of people buy out people/businesses a lot and do know of a few that have bought someone's design library in the buyout and that's what they told me to do this evening after having a talk with a few of them. They said that I should be ok with the situation just might not be able to sale the finished projects on some, but most designers would be willing to either give me the permission or have me purchase permission maybe even at a discount. I do know a lot of these pattern books are obsolete as I said he's an oldtimer and have been doing this for a while. Again, thanks for the responses.

I look at it like computer software. It's for one user. If you take it off your computer and are selling the original then it's legal. I would think it would be the same for patterns. If he is selling you the original and has no copies and you are the only user I would think it would be OK.

Here's my take on it - as far as the patterns he can't legally sell them if the designer originally stated not to sell the pattern or copy's for profit. As far as what you cut anything is sellable as long as the image is not copyrighted IE Disney,HD and so on. My patterns for example are for sale by anyone but cut and sell all the finished peices you want. Just my 2 cents worth.

sully