Dewalt Set screw

edward

Don.t feel bad ,I think thats was what screwed up my clamp screw and caused the blades to bend and finially got the swivel tip on mine ,progressive small things that you do not notice ,that eventually get bad enough that cause problems ,and are then hard to trace because they are progressive. Then you try correcting the wrong things ,causing more trouble,till you finally trace to source. 

A little more on the topic.

Keep in mind you use the Blue Loctite only on the set screw, not the thumb screw, and if the threads in the clamp or on either the set screw or thumb screw are stripped you need to replace them as Blue Loctite will not solve that problem.  After coating with Blue Loctite you want to make sure you properly adjust your set screw immediately so it is either flush with the inside of the clamp face or just a 1/4 turn out past flush with the clamp face - I do flush with the clamp face although I think the EX21 manual recommends just past flush with the clamp face.  Since my vision does not let me see well into the clamp face I use a thin sheet of metal to insert between the clamp faces and then tighten the thumb screw to hold it in place.  I can then tighten the set screw and know when it is flush with the clamp face and if I want more loosen the thumb screw so the metal comes out and give the set screw another partial turn.  As Carl notes, if you ever adjust the set screw after following this procedure you will need to recoat with the Blue Loctite.  As Carl did, I also had bent blades and stripped threads until I learned how to actually set the set screw and that I did not have to crank down on the thumb screw as hard as I could to hold the blade and since learning these basics I have not had to adjust my set screw and have not stripped threads in the clamp or on the set screw or thumb screw.

Edited by Doug