Can you help me ?

heppnerguy

I cut this cross  a couple of days ago and the I am having a finish problem that I have never had before. As you can see from the photo, i am getting a rough finish. I have tried to finish with a spray lacquer made by DEFT and I had this results so I sanded it off and now I used a  miniwax polyurethane and got the exact problem. I am not worth a hoot at finishing but my wife likes the glossy finish best. So does anyone have an idea why I am having this finish problem and what I might do differently ?  Open for any advice anyone may have to offer me.

Dick 

heppnerguy

post-2238-0-96393500-1396550087_thumb.jpg

Sometimes the temperature of the area you are working in can effect the smoothness.

I tend to have the same problem when I get to heavy with the finish coats.

You might have to let it dry very very well ---(take to a nice warm place for a full day or more; if possible)--, before you can correct the issue.

All good advice ,I would call it almost (orange peel ) with my magnifier,on it even looks like a dry spot band south of the cross bar ,ck the nozzles of your rattle can Too ,sometimes they get a build up and spray a screwed up pattern , heavy in some areas  almost none in others ,also appears to be ultra fine saw dust on parts of Cross  .any or a combination can give you fits ,Hope ,this helps !!

Thanks everyone .. my comments on your advice is;1;  I do try to us very light coats, but probably could try harder...

2.  The temperature was probably too cold at the time,

3.  the sawdust was the results of sanding off my first efforts and not realizing I had not gotten all the new sawdust off before I re-sprayed. ( in a hurry )

4.  There could be a nozzle problem also, but there should not have been because it was a new can, but it was too cold too, I believe

Thanks again to everyone who helped my with this, I am not going to take all the time to again try to reapply a new surface to it. It will be quicker just to make another one, I believe. Besides I like making them way more than I do finishing them.

Dick

heppnerguy

thanks all, I made another cross, which someone ordered the day I posted the one I showed you; I am not planning on trying to sell the one i posted because of the finish problem. But the photo I posted on my page was taken in a different light and the poor finis does not show.

i will pay attention to all your helpful hints and let you know what happens the next time I take a crack at a glossy finish.

Dick 

heppenrguy

I've been using a gloss clear spray lacquer from Lowes for sometime now. I sand to 320 before finishing, then spray 2 coats allowing about 10-20 minutes between coats. Then I very, very, very lightly sand with 400. Two more coats of clear, sanded with 400 between, and I've been very happy with the results. Iused it on all kinds of wood from birch ply to cherry.

Dick,

I have had this happen as well. I just keep adding layers of lacquer and by the 4th or 5th layer it smooths out. Then I very lightly sand with a brown paper bag and add just one more light coat and all is well! Try heating your can of lacquer in some warm water if spraying in cold temps. Hope this helps.

Todd

EX-16

Edited by coullion

If you ever spray laquer in the late evening or very early in the morn the is a chance moisture in the air will turn your object a flat ashe white if not completely in spots ,if it ever happens let me know! I won't bore you with details as must not be very common as no one has posted the problem that I know of !!

again, I wish to thank everyone for taking the time to help my with my finishing problem. I never was very good at finish work. Now I should  be doing a lot better because I am better educated now. The next time I try to finish something with a gloss I will let you know my outcome

I can not thank you all, enough, for your help. I love this family we have here.

Dick

heppnerguy