blades

As I was searching through this site I saw alot of references to Flying Dutchman Blades. I know Mike has a link to this site but was wondering if no one uses anything else. I use Pegas blades almost always and have found them to be very reliable, especially the Mod Geometry type. There is nothing wrong with Mike's blades but I was just curious?

Mike was the first one I ever bought blades from, so my only other experience is limited to Craftsman and generic blades from the bigbox store. The stuff you buy at the bigbox store are usually garbage. I think you'll find most scrollers are very brand loyal when it comes to their blades. Once they find something that works, they stick to it. But as long as you stick to some quality blades, you'll do well, no matter which brand. The big three brands that stick out in my mind are Flying Dutchman, Olson, and Pegas. I would love to try the other brands just out of curiosity.

I've never used Pegas blades, so I can't speak for them. For me though, Flying Dutchmans were the first blades recommended to me after I got tired of Olsens. When I first started scrolling, I was using Ryobi blades I picked up at Home Depot. They were alright to learn with, but like Travis said, they are crap. They cut well enough, but lasted all of three minutes in the thinnest of woods, and that was when you were lucky. So I shopped around for a different blade. All anyone sells locally was Olsens. At first I thought that was the blade for me. The problem was that at five bucks a dozen, I couldn't afford much scrolling like that. So I started looking online for a cheaper source by buying in bulk. That was where my nightmares started. You can read all about my blade problems in other posts. It just turned out though that FD blades are better for me. Some like different blades. In the end though, I think its what each individual is comfortable with. I don't try to tell anyone that their blade is inferior to my blade. I think if you have a blade you can enjoy scrolling with, then by all means, stick with it.

I'm gonna mirror what was already said. I started with the box store blades (crap), then switched to Olson. These weren't bad, but did not seem to last that terribly long. I would get maybe about 5 minutes out of a blade. Switched to FD blades and I'm cutting for 20 to 30 minutes with each. So for me, I just haven't found the need to look at any other brand.

If a particular blade works for you, stick with it. I know a guy who swears by the very same blade by Olson that I thought was crap. We all scroll a little differently, therefore the same blade will work differently for each of us.

Barry

I'll mirror everyone else on FD blades, I started with what came with the saw, OK but hmmmm....

When I started cutting thicker/heavier wood/timber/lumber I was browser around the web and came across Pegas blades.

Now there Double Tooth blades are great (for me) the thicker/heavier wood.

So I alway keep a stock of Pegas D/T on hand.

My 2 cents worth.

Merlin

I tried some of the generic blades when I started ,Then Olsen Which after e-mailing them with a problem I was haveing and No response , I got a sample Of FD blades and I was hooked. With the quick service and If you call him you get a honest answer Or E-mail him . He has been a member of many fourms and has been very helpful in them .

Pegus blades I have only tried the jewlers blade And they worked fine

David