what can anyone tell me about the RBI saw ?

heppnerguy

I have an oportunity to buy a used RBI scroll saw for $225. I know it comes with the stand, variable speed motor, lighted magnifying lighted glass, and foot control. I was told that it is a few years old but used very little. I have seen a photo of it but not the saw itself. I know nothing about these saws but I do know they are not cheap saws. I need any information any of you might be able to  give me, please,

Dick

heppnerguy 

I went to church with a fellow who had one and he was extremely happy with it. He did do beautiful work. He moved on and I hadn't seen him for several years and met him again last week actually. We of course talked scrolling and he is using the same RBI saw and is retired so using it more. I have however not used one.

If it has the variable speed, it is probably a good saw.  I had one like that and it was great.  Of course, I was using it pretty heavy at that time and it was several years old when I got it and had been used pretty heavy so the variable speed control went out.  Wound up selling it but would not hesitate to have another for that price.  You can contact Bushton Mfg if you have the info and they could tell you more about the saw.

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far, I will indeed try the saw first. Being it is a used saw, I am not sure if there are any parts replacement problems, just in case. I will keep looking to see if I get any other people that might chime in on this

Dick

heppnerguy 

Good morning Dick

RBI saws are one of the high end machines which I believe are American made. This saw should have parallel arms, quick change blade clamps, and I believe cutting height is 2/14". It is a very high quality saw with very smooth operation. I have researched the RBI scroll saws awhile ago with great reviews. I would try the saw out then you will be able to form your own opinion. Research the model and parts available for it. Other than that for $225.00 I don't think you can go wrong

Edited by Ron Johnson

• 4 weeks later...

Also know as Hawk. RBI is out of business and Bushton Mfg. bought the company. Parts are available from Nils @ Bushton. High end saw comprable to Hegner etc. Google Bushton manufacturing scroll saw and you will be shown all available sites.

I have a Hawk G4 and Bushton has been my source for parts etc. Very accomodating people.

Bob

Thank you for all the comments. I now believe that the Hawk is a great saw, Unfortunately the saw that I was looking at had been sitting on a  porch for a few years and had a lot of rust on the rustable parts. So I decided it was not one that I wanted at any price. they sell for about $1200 and up. I have seen several for sale and I am now waiting for another time to buy

Dick

heppnerguy