Saw Height

Travis

What is your saw height? I have my saw so the bed of the saw is just below my ribcage. This way I'm pretty much looking down on the workpiece. But I noticed Handi in his videos has the saw pretty high so that he's looking really close to the cuts. It looks like it works well for him since he prefers tight and detailed cuts. I find myself slouching anyway to keep an eye on my cutting. And after a long session, my back is tired and sore. So I boosted my saw up about 8". Now the bed of the saw is about the height of my collar bone. It seems a little high...feels like I'm resting my chin on the bed. :lol: But I thought I'd give it a try and see how I like it. Maybe it'll save my back. How high is your saw?

hi travis, i think it depends on the saw, my first saw the blade was back about 8" from the front of the bed, and i had it lower so i could get close enough to see the blade, and lines. but my excalibur, the blade is about 3" back from the front of the bed, so i have this one higher, and im closer to the blade. i know my wife does not like it being that high, she would rather use my old saw , because she is used to the way it cuts.

What is your saw height? I have my saw so the bed of the saw is just below my ribcage. This way I'm pretty much looking down on the workpiece. But I noticed Handi in his videos has the saw pretty high so that he's looking really close to the cuts. It looks like it works well for him since he prefers tight and detailed cuts. I find myself slouching anyway to keep an eye on my cutting. And after a long session, my back is tired and sore. So I boosted my saw up about 8". Now the bed of the saw is about the height of my collar bone. It seems a little high...feels like I'm resting my chin on the bed. :lol: But I thought I'd give it a try and see how I like it. Maybe it'll save my back. How high is your saw?

Travis: This method helps me out more... if you was in my Shoes (Wheels) you would have a different aspect of how this works for me.

I will explain a little technical information for you to understand the Situation...

When you are Paralyzed... Certain Areas of the Spine give you different Paralysis... Mine is in the T Section of the Spine which means I have no Motor functions just right about the Armpit section... With this paralysis, I have no Hip movement or control, if I lean forward, I just basically Fall... Example, 2x4 on End, you give it a little push, nothing holding it up but balance, it falls.

Same concept with me. And with a Rod in my Back, i can't arch my back, I can only look down and only wish I could arch my back. So with my Saw up to the armpit hight, this helps me lean back in my Chair, less Looking down with neck Pain.

I can sit at a Correct Posture at my Saw and enjoy hours and hours of Scrolling without any Pain or anything... And if I lean forward I'm up close enought to the table that I don't fall into it, so I'm wedged between the table and the back of my Chair.

hope this helps explain why I have my "Table Saw" At the level I do lol.

I hope I didn't offend. I realize your situation requires you to have the saw at the height it is. But seeing you saw at that height kinda gave me a "I wonder" moment and I thought I'd try it out. I definitely could see a couple of advantages to having the saw at that height. Namely, being positioned closer to the blade so I can more easily follow my cuts, and relieve a little back fatigue at the same time. This little experiment got me to thinking about the height/position other people have their saws. I find it interesting how many different ways there are to doing the same task. Hrmmmm. Anyway, I think I'll cut my next project at this height and see how I like it. I'll be sure to report back and let y'all know how it goes. :)

I have my Dewalt in its stand with the back adjustment set all the way to tilt it forward. I picked up a couple of those Craftsmen shop stools and have taken to recently using a magnifier (have had it for a while and didn't really like it, now I find myself swinging over just about all the time). Anyway there seems to be something wrong in my setup because if I can only seem to go an hour before I start to feel it in my neck and back. I was thinking I'm probably sitting up to high and thought of trying a lower chair to get my head lower to just above the table. This is a good thread because hearing how others have addressed this may help us find something that works and allow us to be more comfortable and cut longer.

Thanks,

jowshu (Don)

I hope I didn't offend. I realize your situation requires you to have the saw at the height it is. But seeing you saw at that height kinda gave me a "I wonder" moment and I thought I'd try it out. I definitely could see a couple of advantages to having the saw at that height. Namely, being positioned closer to the blade so I can more easily follow my cuts, and relieve a little back fatigue at the same time. This little experiment got me to thinking about the height/position other people have their saws. I find it interesting how many different ways there are to doing the same task. Hrmmmm. Anyway, I think I'll cut my next project at this height and see how I like it. I'll be sure to report back and let y'all know how it goes. :)

Travis: No worries dude... I don't get offended very easy... I thought I would just clear it up how and why the use of my Saw this way and give you a little technical background of Paralysis.

I know it wasn't really a Scroll Saw Issue being Technical about a Paralysis lol, but I thought maybe a Small background would help you and possibly everyone else understand.

I have to have my saw a bit on the high side to keep me from slouching so much..............but I still have a great deal of fatique and pain when I saw. I have a really bad back and hips........degenerative joint disease and Lupus.........so I have to stop frequently and lay down.

I like CJ's idea of the 4 X 4.............I may have to try this. It may help me to see better. My saw doesn't have a light either and the lighting in this house really blows.............so maybe tilting the saw will help there too. I need to get a clamp on light I guess.

This is a great thread!

Christina

Well, I was able to squeeze in a few hours to scroll this weekend. I moved the height of my saw up to about my collar bone. I really liked being close to the blade. I found I can see the cuts easier and it also seemed like I had a bit more control. Unfortunately, I think I raised it too much, because my back was strained the other way...LOL. I was on the edge of my seat and stretching to get a good view. I think all in all, I like having a higher saw. I think I might split the difference and lower it by 2 or 3 inches and maybe that will be about right. I'll keep experimenting. :)

So does that mean that I have Inspired more people then i thought I would have, not just with my Good Looks, my Good Scroll Saw and my Good work?

i'm a G.I.M.P.

(G)reat (I)nspiration to (M)any (P)eople

ROFL... Sorry had to go there... :) Alot of poeple odn't like the word GIMP for a Disabled person, But you know, i don't care.. As long as you don't call me late for Supper! LOL

• 1 month later...

Sorry I am chiming in on this late, but I finally dug up my photos I did when I built my current (and only) table for my saw. I sit at it with a small office 'task' chair when sawing. Check out my Misc Creations gallery for the explaination on it...kind of proud of it myself :drool:http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-448

That is a great looking workspace. I like the light right above your surface too. I need something a bit better than what I have. The light is pretty poor in my workspace. Great idea with the built in filter. I use the same system, but just a box fan with a filter taped to it. Nicely done! :thumbs:

I have an RBI Hawk. I don't like to stand to saw because it's just too tiring. So, I built a platform 3 ft. by 4 ft. I have it elevated 6 inches. I use a secretary chair that I got at Wal-Mart. I put cleats on the edges of the platform to keep the chair from accidentally rolling off.

The table of the saw is 40" from the floor. I elevated the back legs of the saw stand 3" so the saw tilts forward making it much easier to work with. I have a magnifying lamp purchased at Menards mounted on the saw and I have a foot switch on a small platform the same hight as the big platform. Because the chair has a back rest, I can, and often do, spend a several hours at the saw at one time. I have never gotten a sore back.

I just turn on my Sirius radio and go to work.

Thanks for letting me share this.

El