Universal joints for whirligigs

jeffflan

I would like to attempt the Anders S Lunde 'Nothing Factory' whirligig, but, I want to split the drive train using very small wooden universal joints.

The 'Nothing Factory' will probably require a four blade propeller to generate enough power to move the characters, usually placed in (a straight) line.

I have cut two universal joints (using my scrollsaw) however I would appreciate the views of other members, and any pictures available.

My trial universal joints were cut from baltic pine and employ fine brass tube bearings, for minimal friction.

Picture attached.

Thanks.

I don't know much about wooden mechanical parts, but they look good to me. The only thing I can think of is to make the grain run slightly diaganal, perhaps? I think that might add a bit of strength to the joint. It would be less likely to break at the corners of the joint. But this is only a guess. I know with puzzles, I have to pay attention to grain direction to make sure the grain runs parallel to the delicate areas.

Thanks for your comments.

I think you are correct in that while the test universals 'look' robust, only loading them with a wind power source will prove their worth.

Wood grain angle is also important (as suggested).

The universal in the photo (in two pieces) did snap along the grain.

It has been repaired with clear wood glue however I do not have much confidence in its durability.

Maybe I should look for a tighter grained wood, however I think that would also be heavier (weight) and present other issues.

Huon Pine is tight and light, and very expensive.

It would sacrilege to use Huon Pine on a whirligig. Tempting but.

:cool:

• 5 years later...

Hi Jeff,

I am new to the site and was looking for whirligig info when I spotted your question. I realize it was an old (2009) post and was wondering if you got the U-Joint finished, how did it turn out and did you get a pic of the final joint?

Merry Christmas and Season's Greetings from Minnesota U.S.

John (JC)  :santa: 

It's amazing how old threads can come to life again. No wonder I can't see the picture.

I made a whirligig some years ago after watching Roy Underhill make one on his TV show. It didn't run very well but I'm a better woodworker now and maybe I should try again? They are a great example of folk art. I'm feeling inspired but I won't put out a whirligig in the middle of winter so it'll have to wait until spring. Fat chance I'll remember this then, huh?

HUD, I stick to ducks and planes and air boats ,I use pvc textured 1x6" threaded alum screw in inserts 8-32 sholder bolts bronze sleeve bushings, pvc siding wings and props ,pvc hubs glued and pinnailed  ,out winter and summer ,only problem is excessive flex of wings in high winds knocking out the eyes of the ducks and cracking wings in cold weather .no warp  no weather issues ,bleach body once a yr. Kryton plastic paint on planes  and snoopy ,best longest lasting ,1/2 pvc cross spacer for duck wing s .NO_LOX on threads in to alum inserts .works great !

HUD, I stick to ducks and planes and air boats ,I use pvc textured 1x6" threaded alum screw in inserts 8-32 sholder bolts bronze sleeve bushings, pvc siding wings and props ,pvc hubs glued and pinnailed  ,out winter and summer ,only problem is excessive flex of wings in high winds knocking out the eyes of the ducks and cracking wings in cold weather .no warp  no weather issues ,bleach body once a yr. Kryton plastic paint on planes  and snoopy ,best longest lasting ,1/2 pvc cross spacer for duck wing s .NO_LOX on threads in to alum inserts .works great !

I would like to see some pictures and maybe even a tutorial of these. If you have the time. :confused:  :)

post-22372-0-37015100-1418399215_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-26609300-1418399360_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-94477500-1418399403_thumb.jpgpost-22372-0-78133800-1418400166_thumb.jpg

Cool! My wife would love those light houses! She is from Indiana, right on the tip of Lake Michigan and they would make her think of home.

For your wife ,mine is from maine has same love for them ! If you look out on the corner of the fence ,there are 4 airplanes behind the big diy light house , and 1 air boat .This was when the pond was being put together version1 ! Changed drasticly since !

Edited by Multifasited

Do to my wifes health concerns ,I built my own ,to be close ,great to be this close ,able to go out for a few minutes as weather permits and in the event my score exceeds yours ,I can leave with my wallet uncathed .great way to clear the mind for a few minutes ,takes 1 1/2 hrs to play 18 .200 yd longest shot !  keeping grass cut is only down side . 

I love making whirligigs and have 5 in my garden at the moment I use all sorts of scrapped items in mine, including bearings from old vacuum cleaners, bit's of rod from old clothes airers and fan blades from thin scrap metal sheets such as old metal shelving sheets. Bit's of Meccano are useful too.

I love the books by Anders S Lunde they have inspired me to make my own designs.

Hi Jeff,

The pics of your U-Joint is now visible -- I guess I needed to get Logged in before I could see it ... Duh  :shock:.

It looks good and should work -- I agree that if wood is used for the knuckle parts, it would need to be strong and I would think hard to prevent breaking and wobbling out at the pin holes. Dimensional uniformity and alignment accuracy would be necessary to reduce vibration as a whirligig main shaft can reach higher than imagined speeds during a strong wind. :o

Great job ... :thumbs:

John  

Hi Jeff,

The pics of your U-Joint is now visible -- I guess I needed to get Logged in before I could see it ... Duh  :shock:.

It looks good and should work -- I agree that if wood is used for the knuckle parts, it would need to be strong and I would think hard to prevent breaking and wobbling out at the pin holes. Dimensional uniformity and alignment accuracy would be necessary to reduce vibration as a whirligig main shaft can reach higher than imagined speeds during a strong wind. :o

Great job ... :thumbs:

John  

I don't know why but I can also see the picture now but couldn't see it before. I know I was logged in before.

You might look and see if you can find some Iron wood for the knuckles. If they can make bushings out of it they may work well for this purpose. The stuff is darn hard to cut though.

Iron wood should work well and grows in the southwest - I do not believe that a scroll saw project "Must" be out of wood though (unless wanted by the craftsman) and poly, brass, or aluminum would also work quite well, and there are metal blades available for the soft metals.

I do not know the end project or size of the U-Joint, but am assuming it is a replica of some sort of vehicle. Just as a thought though, if the U-Joint is being added for bind-reduction in a long shaft (and not for realism) and in the range of +/- 1" O.D. or larger, a pin-gear arrangement would allow for a small amount of misalignment and could easily be made from wood ... oak for example is a hardwoods that is fairly stable and often used in whirligigs ... just a thought.  :?

JC