Thanks Hans

heppnerguy

I need to thank Hans for inspiring me to challenge myself and stop over looking some patterns just because they have a lot of holes to cut. Because of Han's willingness to tackle the tougher projects, and they all are so extraordinary, I choose this pattern by Rick and Karen Longabaugh to cut for my wife. Although I did not count the cuts, I believe it to be somewhere around 2000. It took me three days in the shop, ( while working on three other projects to complete it ). I cut it from Juniper. I am curious to find out if anyone else has cut any Juniper before. I was not sure how it would cut and held my breath with the anticipation that about the time I finished my cuts, it would break. but I got lucky. I found out that no matter how many cuts a piece has or how small they are, it still is only one cut at a time and really no more difficult than any other piece. Just takes longer to do

Dick

heppnerguy

post-2238-0-23846600-1398207339_thumb.jpg

post-2238-0-95767000-1398207351_thumb.jpg

I need to thank Hans for inspiring me to challenge myself and stop over looking some patterns just because they have a lot of holes to cut. Because of Han's willingness to tackle the tougher projects, and they all are so extraordinary, I choose this pattern by Rick and Karen Longabaugh to cut for my wife. Although I did not count the cuts, I believe it to be somewhere around 2000. It took me three days in the shop, ( while working on three other projects to complete it ). I cut it from Juniper. I am curious to find out if anyone else has cut any Juniper before. I was not sure how it would cut and held my breath with the anticipation that about the time I finished my cuts, it would break. but I got lucky. I found out that no matter how many cuts a piece has or how small they are, it still is only one cut at a time and really no more difficult than any other piece. Just takes longer to do

Dick

heppnerguy

Fantastic work and congratulations in overcoming that fear I'm glad I have inspired you into trying more challenging cuts it opens doors to so many more beautiful patterns out there. I very happy for you, now throw away all your bunny and kitten patterns your are an artist.

.../Hans

Very beautiful Box!!!!! Congratulations on a project well done. :thumbs:

:thumbs:  

Dick you could say it's a holy box, very nice work that took a bit of time one thinks.

It looks about the right size to put the family bible in. I may have to make one for my Lady. :D  Wait, what am I thinking!!!! :huh:  2000 holes!!!!! :o  :scared:

Dick

Great job.  Hans inspires me too, but not enough to go there.  Those knots on the top would have really concerned me.  I really could not get a perspective on the size, whether you were able to deal with it on your scroll table or whether you had to set up an outfeed table for support.  How thick?  It looks like it could be 3/4 to 1 inch.  What blade did you use?  I am always curious what folks use when doing fret work with thicker woods.

Dick

Great job.  Hans inspires me too, but not enough to go there.  Those knots on the top would have really concerned me.  I really could not get a perspective on the size, whether you were able to deal with it on your scroll table or whether you had to set up an outfeed table for support.  How thick?  It looks like it could be 3/4 to 1 inch.  What blade did you use?  I am always curious what folks use when doing fret work with thicker woods.

this box is 8 1/2  X 4 1/2 inches and the lid and bottom are 9 1/2 x 7 inches.  It is all cut from 1/4 inch stock, with I cut down on my band saw and planer from 5/8 inch stock. It was  plenty of room on my saw to cut, No problem there.. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Opps I think I made a huge error and I didn't realize it until now.. I don't think there are 2000 cuts but rather only about  1000 cuts. I must have thought I had really accomplished something here and I only did a little more that half the work I posted here. Sorry people, my bad.

Dick

heppnerguy  :curse:

this box is 8 1/2  X 4 1/2 inches and the lid and bottom are 9 1/2 x 7 inches.  It is all cut from 1/4 inch stock, with I cut down on my band saw and planer from 5/8 inch stock. It was  plenty of room on my saw to cut, No problem there.. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks - all I can say is the closeup really blew my perspective on size and thickness.

Excellent! That came out beautiful. I did that one a while back but still haven't varnished it yet. I did another from walnut. Have you decided exactly how your going to put a finish on yours? Will boiled linseed oil really turn the color a little orange? What would it do to walnut. Are you going to use the feet on the bottom? Thanks for sharing, it's worth the time after you get it done. Think anyone would pay you what it's worth if you sold it?

Excellent! That came out beautiful. I did that one a while back but still haven't varnished it yet. I did another from walnut. Have you decided exactly how your going to put a finish on yours? Will boiled linseed oil really turn the color a little orange? What would it do to walnut. Are you going to use the feet on the bottom? Thanks for sharing, it's worth the time after you get it done. Think anyone would pay you what it's worth if you sold it?

I will just use a few applications of a spray laquer, I guess. Probably my biggest weakness in scrolling is, finish work. I am trying to work these things out. I am not sure if I should or should not use a sealer (always, sometimes or don't bother), can of should shellac and spray lacquer work together, will a product change the look or color of my project, how many layers is required and when is enough, how often do I need to sand the layers, when is it sanded enough? So you can see, I am not the person to be asking these questions of because you are most likely much more educated in this question, than I am . 

Yes I plan to do the feet also.  By the way, I would love to see your item too. I think walnut would be a much better choice of wood for this project but Juniper was the only wood that I had on hand that was wide enough for this project. I also was just seeing if I had the patience and skill to make it, along with the wonderment as to the strength and durability of Juniper. So this entire works was to test myself and the material used. I have to say that I am pleased with both, for the moment

Thanks for the enquiry

Dick

heppnerguy

Here is the one like you did, it's oak.  This second one was done in walnut. That pattern came from craftsmanspace,com. The sides to it are half of the other pattern you would see on that page. You have probably seen it there are a lot of free patterns.  Another finish I thought of trying is mineral oil. Any ideas?

post-7955-0-35088800-1398730140_thumb.jpg

post-7955-0-87524600-1398730179_thumb.jpg

post-7955-0-54465900-1398730204_thumb.jpg

post-7955-0-29354300-1398730230_thumb.jpg

Here is the one like you did, it's oak.  This second one was done in walnut. That pattern came from craftsmanspace,com. The sides to it are half of the other pattern you would see on that page. You have probably seen it there are a lot of free patterns.  Another finish I thought of trying is mineral oil. Any ideas?

sorry I missed this post. Yoiu are into the boxes too. I plan to make several more too. Nice job, you are also inspiriing me to get with it

Dick

heppnerguy